aMule Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We're back! (IN POG FORM)

Author Topic: About compilation of current CVS  (Read 1104417 times)

Kry

• Ex-developer
  • Retired admin
About compilation of current CVS
« on: June 20, 2006, 05:58:49 AM »

I removed around 1100 #include directives from aMule files. While this is a nice thing, it's prone to create problems, because it means it will compile on my box, some tester's boxes, and maybe no other place (Mac and win32 are for sure untested).

So please, if you can't compile current CVS, create a thread on the compilation problems forum, but FIRST MAKE SURE A THREAD FOR THE SAME PROBLEM DOESN'T EXIST YET.

That part is really important. I get very angry on duplicated reports, and so the productivity drops dramatically. Thanks for your work, patience, and contributions.

Eleksir

• Approved Newbie
RE: About compilation of current CVS
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 08:32:14 PM »

Kry, you'd better remove all of this WXWidget( or wxGTK) crap, if you'll make everything in pure C and GTK2, and aMule will be definely more stable and faster! , oh, btw, and more portable :)

Kry

• Ex-developer
  • Retired admin
Re: About compilation of current CVS
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 11:44:12 PM »

More portable. On GTK. Yeah. Of course. Probably more native, too. Oh, and it will make a nice cake. And get you girls.

C'mon... get serious. Pure C? you gotta be kidding me.

kreegee

• http://kreegee.cycovery.com
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 02:10:00 AM »

Hell, yeah, remove all the GUI and rewrite it in ANSI-C, this will really make it really more portable!

Will give a try 'bout compilation tomorrow and post my experiences. gn8
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 02:10:13 AM by kreegee »

Eleksir

• Approved Newbie
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 05:18:16 PM »

C'mon, no one happy using this buggy-and-bloat wxWidgets, especially people with such a big and fat distros like Mandriva, Fedora, Debian, SuSE and (users of ports of)FreeBSD - in their repositories lay obsolete versions of wxWidgets and ofcourse aMule

By the way, I didn't mean drop this wxCrap immediatly after I suggest to drop it - I understand that it's like a drug - the whole thing of aMule addicted to wxWidgets, and it's not too easy to drop this additional layer, and potential source of bugs; but little by little you can refuse of using it by replacing first of all networking code and make, as a first step, wx-free amuled (daemon part), gui can wait for it's time, just try minimize usage of wxWidgets especialy in network-related code, because wx has a weak place here (not enough robustness, lack of support epoll and kqueue).

About C - nice language, you know, not overbloat with such a nice and handy stuff as C++ but binaries generated from c-sources are less in size and faster than binaries generated from cpp-sources, c is less sophisticated language, so you 'll make less design defects (aka bugs) while programming, and more easily catch them during debug sessions (why do you think linux kernel is written in pure C?).

And one more thing, Kry, you should be more constructive and positive, no one here, in forum, _orders_ you (and anyone of aMule team) what to do and how to do - it's just a thoughts and suggestions, forum has created only for those purposes, right?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 05:32:58 PM by Eleksir »

Kry

• Ex-developer
  • Retired admin
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 05:52:27 PM »

Originally posted by Eleksir
C'mon, no one happy using this buggy-and-bloat wxWidgets, especially people with such a big and fat distros like Mandriva, Fedora, Debian, SuSE and (users of ports of)FreeBSD - in their repositories lay obsolete versions of wxWidgets and ofcourse aMule

We're happy using it. And we're happy contributing back to it to make it better. Actually, one of the most important team members here is coding for them, and a contributor and friend is one of the wx developers. Debian has the latest wxWidgets stable release. I don't care about the others, and if they don't, it's their fault, not wxWidgets fault.

By the way, I didn't mean drop this wxCrap immediatly after I suggest to drop it -
You're really constructive. Wow, wxCrap[/b]. That is a REALLY MATURE position on the issue.

I understand that it's like a drug - the whole thing of aMule addicted to wxWidgets, and it's not too easy to drop this additional layer, and potential source of bugs

..like any layer. And I must say that in the 3 years I have been working with it, I found very few serious bugs. And those I found are fixed quite fast.Sometimes by me.

; but little by little you can refuse of using it by replacing first of all networking code and make, as a first step, wx-free amuled (daemon part), gui can wait for it's time, just try minimize usage of wxWidgets especialy in network-related code, because wx has a weak place here (not enough robustness, lack of support epoll and kqueue).

Really SMART move on the network one. Because, you know, I'm more or less the mantainer of wxWidgets network classes now, and I'm rewriting lots of it for Google's Summer Of Code program, and get paid for it. Yay!.

I would love to know how are you planning to support epoll and kqueue on anything non-linux or BSD. It's a really, really interesting question.

About C - nice language, you know, not overbloat with such a nice and handy stuff as C++ but binaries generated from c-sources are less in size and faster than binaries generated from cpp-sources, c is less sophisticated language, so you 'll make less design defects (aka bugs) while programming, and more easily catch them during debug sessions (why do you think linux kernel is written in pure C?).

This part I will mark it as bullshit and guess you just have no real idea what you're talking about.I specially like the "c is less sophisticated language, so you 'll make less design defects" part. The other parts are just biased opinions against C++ (and false ones, btw), but that one... it's not even logical.

The kernel comment is really, really comedy gold.

And one more thing, Kry, you should be more constructive and positive, no one here, in forum, _orders_ you (and anyone of aMule team) what to do and how to do - it's just a thoughts and suggestions, forum has created only for those purposes, right?

I am constructive and possitive. I'm constructive TOWARDS wxWidgets and possitive TOWARDS wxWidgets, which you see as being negative towards YOU.

Of course it's thoughts and suggestions. But you came here insulting and flaming the multiplatform, native-widgets framework we have been using for years, and without it, mind you, aMule would never exist, as lmule wouldn't have been created in the first place by Tiku.

Eleksir

• Approved Newbie
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 07:59:41 PM »

It's knock out!
Ok, I'm giving up, I was paritaly wrong, but wxWdgets anyway is NOT as popular as GTK2 and ofcourse as native Windows GUI :), and let me note aMule is crossplatform app because of YOU make it crossplatform and because of C++ and because of wxWidgets

oh, one more thing: not only wxWidgets are crossplatform, but GTK2 is crossplatform too :)

P.S. Calm down, I _do not_ want to insult you, I didn't knew that you have so strong position about wxWidgets.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 08:18:37 PM by Eleksir »

GonoszTopi

• The current man in charge of most things.
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2006, 08:25:54 PM »

Let me take a note on this discussion:

aMule is an open-source application, licensed with GPL, so _anyone_ may take the sources, rewrite it to use _any_ widget set, and is free to release it under _any other_ name. That is, _we_ just won't do it.

Simple. That is not going to change, thus any efforts towards changing this are useless. Period.

And about programming language: see signature.
concordia cum veritate

OldFrog

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2006, 08:27:35 PM »

Great, we got our monthly troll-thread  :)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 08:27:47 PM by OldFrog »
Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes (Edsger W. Dijkstra)

Eleksir

• Approved Newbie
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2006, 09:24:01 PM »

Originally posted by OldFrog
Great, we got our monthly troll-thread  :)

You got point  ;)

Vollstrecker

• Administrator
  • Unofficial Debian Packager
    • http://vollstreckernet.de
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2006, 06:08:26 AM »

Where has they been the last 3 month?
Homefucking is killing prostitution

Kry

• Ex-developer
  • Retired admin