aMule Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We're back! (IN POG FORM)

Author Topic: Preferences, improve statistics, connection tab  (Read 4852 times)

greek

Preferences, improve statistics, connection tab
« on: July 10, 2008, 02:00:31 AM »

I think the Line capacities section which changes the scale in the DL/UL graphs should be renamed and moved to the statistics preference tab. Then do a small rearrangement in the connection tab. The result is that at last the preference window does not have huge height, so it fits elegantly in my mac's screen :)

I admit that I could do a better job with the aesthetics, but I think there is a long way for an elegant design and at this point its best to only bother with logical consistency.

Here are the screenshots:

greek

Re: Preferences, improve statistics, connection tab
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 02:02:41 AM »

and here is the interface file.

Kry

• Ex-developer
  • Retired admin
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 12:59:30 AM »

I independently made some similar changes, please feel free to check them and critizise me badly.

greek

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 08:27:35 AM »

Wow, I saw many changes in todays tarbal! I really love to see the gui to become smaller and more organized.

Now the biggest problem I see is that in the events tab when I click one of the event types something bad happens: the bottom panel eats the event types panel!!
By the way I wanted to suggest a simplification for the Events tab: why not just remove the "help" text (insert it as baloon tip) and put all the event types in the same page. If you remove all the dull "Enable command execution on core" and "Core command" and replace them with "Run core command"+[text input], they all fit nicely in one page. The advantage with this one is that you can type right away without selecting a section from the tab switcher. Simpler is better.

Gui Tweaks: too much text tires the eye. I think that "Enable"'s and "Other" are dull. Why not remove the title "Skin support" and replace this "Enable" with "Use skin"?
Also remove the title "Other"? Half the Gui Tweaks page cannot be "other"! Oh I just remembered something: Remove the check box that enables skin support and replace its disabled state with a "default"  drop down menu selection. This is not only simpler, but more logical: now I can enable skin support without any skins installed! :) Then you would have "Skin: <drop down menu>.  Notice that this is exactly the same situation as the language selector. And by the way, isn't the Language menu a Gui tweak? Why not take it there, right next to the skin selector?

In the message filter section, the Filtering options really confuse me. I don't really know (mathematically) exactly what is being filtered and when, so I am not sure what to suggest.

Uhmmm the connection tab looks a bit here and there (aesthetically). Logically I think that the limits (bandwidth or connection) should be together.

I guess I will always have a page or more of suggestions. :) But I think the preference menu is improving dramatically and it is not very far from being ... pleasant!
If only we removed those icons (I know it is possible by deleting exactly 3 lines).

Keep up the good work.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 12:51:46 PM by greek »