aMule Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We're back! (IN POG FORM)

Author Topic: Possible malware disguised as aMule, Sites selling aMule  (Read 8712 times)

wuischke

• Developer
Possible malware disguised as aMule, Sites selling aMule
« on: October 21, 2008, 09:20:02 PM »

Recently we've received reports of people asking for removal instructions for aMule. Many said they did not know aMule or did not install it.

Due to this reports I suspect that there might be a malevolent software disguising itself as aMule. This sheds another light on recent virus reports related to aMule, too.

If you notice anything (this is a Windows problem, as far as I know), please get in touch with us as soon as you can. Any information would be of great assistence to us.

A friendly reminder: aMule is free software. DON'T PAY FOR IT!

There exist pages which sell aMule. Although allowed by the GPL, it leaves a bitter taste in the mouth. There is no reason to pay for aMule, we distribute this software for free.

MsZ

• Approved Newbie
Re: Possible malware disguised as aMule, Sites selling aMule
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 11:22:34 AM »

Ugh, I knew it. >:(

Currently, there are lots of fake sites which sell fake (or malwared, or "locked"-unlockable by paying a fee or phoning someone) versions of eMule. I think it was somewhat "natural" (in a certain -distorted- sense) for something like this to happen for aMule as well, being aMule a very useful software in my opinion.

Given how much I respect free software and the GPL itself (and aMule and you guys as well), I deeply disapprove of this... "thing".

I am a moderator on eMuleItalia.Net and I shall write an alert regarding this on our board, as soon as possible. ;)