aMule Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We're back! (IN POG FORM)

Author Topic: Busted by COX... Is there a way around?  (Read 3818 times)

jokker

Busted by COX... Is there a way around?
« on: October 28, 2008, 04:46:05 AM »

You know the phrase: "Nah, will never happen to me..." ? Well guys, it happenned to me. Last night at around 4am, COX suspended my connection. I called the support and they sent me to security dpt. The guy told me the list of the actual files I have been downloading for the last 3 weeks + some files located on another folder. He told me I had to erase these files and stop sharing through whatever soft (amule) I was using. I did, I erase the files, stop all the downloads and called them back, they reactivated my connection. Now, I need to start all over again but with care. I need to know if the option ssh https proxy is doable. I'm ready to pay $5 / month to get signed up and have a reliable proxy but does it really work ? Any of you using such technique to keep downloading ? Which service / proxy type is the best for amule? Which version of amule? Will I get High IDs?
Thanks
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 04:57:06 AM by jokker »

lfroen

Re: Busted by COX... Is there a way around?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 08:26:54 AM »

Who (or what?) is COX? Is it legal to sniff your traffic (I don't know your country laws)? Why would you "stop sharing" - is that illegal in your country too?!
Anyway, the solution is not technical. Change ISP or get a lawyer and explain meaning of word "contract" to you provider.

GonoszTopi

• The current man in charge of most things.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 08:48:09 AM »

1. We do not, in any form, support, encourage or give help on any activity illegal by local/European/US (or whatever) law. Just for clarity.

2. In the assumed case, that you have all the rights to share and download those files you mentioned, and your contract with your ISP does not prohibit using file-sharing applications, then lfroen's post applies. I myself never used any public proxy service, thus I cannot give help on using them. Their home page should contain the necessary information, but I don't really think it's a real solution.
concordia cum veritate

jokker

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 11:21:38 AM »

COX is an ISP and it is not only in my country (USA by the way) but everywhere: it is against the law to upload copyrighted content. That was the cause of the suspension. Now my ISP told me that using sharing software such as amule was OK, but I had to erase specific copyrighted files, which I did. At this moment I am still downloading stuff though  :-X

lfroen

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 04:14:53 PM »

not only in my country (USA by the way) but everywhere: it is against the law to upload copyrighted content.
That's not-entirely-true. And depends on local laws. Since neither of us is a lawyer I suggest to stop this discussion.

but I had to erase specific copyrighted files, which I did
The question, however remains open whether is it OK for your ISP to snoop into your traffic. I always thought that court order (or something similar) is needed for eavesdropping in western countries I'm aware of.
And request to erase local files is ridiculous - only police can search your property. That's right for ALL countries. Even for non-democratic one.

Kry

• Ex-developer
  • Retired admin
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 04:56:48 PM »

He's in the USA. IT's perfectly fine for his ISP to do that. You need to work on your law understanding from other countries, lfroen, or, I don't know, just don't try to argue about legality of the user or the ISP's actions, as we're no lawyers, lawmakers, or law enforcers. Let's not make this into a flamefest about laws, democracy, and intelectual property.

Long story short, jokker, if you're breaking your country's laws we're not gonna help you do it. It's your responsability, your problem, and your burden. We definitely do not condone or approve of people breaking the laws that apply in their jurisdiction, and if you insist on asking for advice on it you will be removed from the forum.

lfroen

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 05:56:24 PM »

IT's perfectly fine for his ISP to do that.
Oh, didn't know that ....

, as we're no lawyers, lawmakers, or law enforcers. Let's not make this into a flamefest about laws, democracy, and intelectual property.
That's what I said.

Kry

• Ex-developer
  • Retired admin
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 06:30:54 PM »

And, in your style, then continued the dicussion after claiming you want to stop it ;) We're old dogs here...