aMule Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We're back! (IN POG FORM)

Author Topic: amule vs mldonkey vs (emule in VMWare)  (Read 10852 times)

billytcherno

• Approved Newbie
amule vs mldonkey vs (emule in VMWare)
« on: September 07, 2004, 08:34:41 AM »

All,

I used to write pieces of code for emule some time ago (almost like 2 years, and under a different nickname), but I had to leave the scene for professional reasons. I only recently moved over to a *nix solution here @  home (my old pc gracefully promoted to firewall/gateway). Now, I am a bit disappointed by the performance I get out of it, albeit that might be due to more heavy serverloads (notable razorback2), server policies, and the sheer complexity of clients.

I installed both amule (rc5) and mldonkey (latest cvs) on the system and compiled it with default options. both programs are setuid to a mldonkey user which I use to tag packets using iptables and traffic shape afterwards (so same bandwidth allocation). I let both programs run (but not together) for a few days I came to the conclusion that
 - aMule is much faster then mldonkey
 - aMule is more bandwidth efficient, that is, less "overloading" its traffic class
 - aMule is more CPU hungry

Nevertheless, the result is mediocre. I get an average dl of 8kB/s (the line spec is 3.3Mbit/192Kbit), upload is set at 5kB/s. pretty low, and it will take days-weeks to get specific files. to compare, I used to run eMule on a machine that was on a 10BaseT switch very "close" to a non-firewalled 155Mbit/s pipe to the internet, and basically my dl was capped by the local ethernet, making me achieve dl rates 300-450kB/s, whilst uploading maybe 50kB/s. I expected to get more out of the dsl line at home.

It makes me wonder if anyone tried to run a recent eMule within a VmWare virtual machine on linux and compare this to the *nix solutions?

B

KingFish

RE: amule vs mldonkey vs (emule in VMWare)
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2004, 09:17:12 AM »

Originally posted by billytcherno
[...] I get an average dl of 8kB/s (the line spec is 3.3Mbit/192Kbit), upload is set at 5kB/s. [...]
You know that ed2k's policy limits the download speed if you set your upload to less than 10kB, right? (5 kB upload set will give you a limited download of 20 kB in recent aMule)

billytcherno

• Approved Newbie
RE: amule vs mldonkey vs (emule in VMWare)
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2004, 09:34:14 AM »

Nope, I was not aware of this. Given the way the configuration screen is set up, I made the assumption that the line speed and capped speed could be entirely user set. At least the (old) eMule's hinted that it was interlinked as the UI adjusted the sliderbars automatically when setting the bw constraints.

If this is the case I need to revisit my comments/conclusions.
I will check out the sources to better understand how it works.

In the meantime I found that Wine seems to support eMule rather well. Now, given the profound explosion of the number of modded eMule's, it will be a daunting task to choose the right one to try out. Anyone benchmarked this already?

B

TrollGod

• Approved Newbie
Re: amule vs mldonkey vs (emule in VMWare)
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2004, 06:50:43 PM »

I'm running emule (Morph mod) in vmware and amule and I find their performance to be in the same ballpark.  emule is better at finding sources, which I put down to Kad.  Resource usage, amule is marginally lighter than emule but they are so close that could just be measurement differences.  I did try running emule in wine but the graphical glitches irritated me too much.

I think once amule has Kad support there will be nothing in it between the 2.  You do need to tweak the default settings to match your line speed, especially the source limits, but that is true of emule aswell.

The only thing I'll miss from emule is the compressed folder support of ntfs (okay thats windows not emule technically).  Thats why Im still running emule for a bit, I don't have room anywhere to store the partfiles uncompressed :-).

Seagull

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2004, 10:13:10 PM »

Cant Kadmelia be turned off? I think there is a option in the install wizard for that, so..

A recheck on the sources problem would be in order, but based on my experience with a emule mod without kad and amule, amule does take mor time to find sources.

billytcherno

• Approved Newbie
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2004, 09:47:46 AM »

I think I will revert to vmware. Yesterday I spend too much time getting emule running under wine (latest version avail from winehq) . emule 0.43-based mods and std emule 0.44 never get past the splashscreen when using wine, although people seem to be able to get older 0.2x emules running under wine.

The only reasonable performance I get with amule (avg 20KB/s, 180KB/s peak) is when both dl/ul restrictions are set to 0 aka unlimited. Seems the credit system is really functioning. ;)