aMule Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We're back! (IN POG FORM)

Author Topic: ERROR: Attempted to share/Users/----/LIbrary/Application Support/aMule/Temp  (Read 3759 times)

jazzmaniac

Can someone explain to me (the more detailed the reply, the better) what the following warning means: ERROR: Attempted to share/Users/--------/Library/Application Support/aMule/Temp?    (Please NOTE: the dashes (------) were inserted for security purposes.) I know the "warning" has something to do with my COMPLETED FILES which are stored in the aMule Temp file on a Mac. Am I doing something "wrong" which is preventing these files from being accessed by others? PLEASE advise.

GonoszTopi

• The current man in charge of most things.
  • Administrator

There are two things aMule automatically shares:

1) The Incoming folder (set in Preferences >> Directories >> Destination folder for downloads). aMule places the completed files here and continues to share them.

2) Partially downloaded files, stored in the Temp folder (Prererences >> Directories >> Folder for temporary download files).

Although in the first case a warning would be sufficient, you cannot share your Temp directory. Sharing your partially downloaded files as regular files, together with the administration data stored in the Temp folder would make no sense.
concordia cum veritate

jazzmaniac

Hi GonoszTopi, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I am still in the dark as to WHY  this error message keeps appearing quite regularly and to my limited understanding, for no APPARENT reason. Said message seems to appear after I have "extracted"/"decompressed" a completed file (leaving the "original" compressed file in situ). But, it also seems to appear after restarting aMule after a brief hiatus.  I have also noted that NOT ONE of the many files that I have  downloaded has been uploaded since its completion. Can you shed any more light on the matter? And, as  Denzel Washington's character in the great movie "Philadelphia" so often said: "Talk to me like I'm a six-year-old." THANKS.

jazzmaniac

If anyone has the time and patience to respond to Reply #2  above,  I will be most appreciative. THANKS.

jazzmaniac

I 'm still in the dark as to WHY this error message keeps appearing quite regularly, and to my limited understanding, for NO APPARENT REASON.  The message seems to appear  1) after extracting/decompressing a completed file (the "original" file is NOT removed from Temp file); and 2) upon restarting aMule.  Also, I have noted that NONE of the complete files that I have  downloaded has been uploaded since their completion. (And it is NOT because they are unpopular items.) In light of the foregoing, can anyone explain WHY I keep receiving this error message? Thanks.

Kry

• Ex-developer
  • Retired admin

Because you're sharing that folder in the shared fodlers list.

jazzmaniac

Kry,  with all due respect, I don't understand your reply/what you're alluding to. Can you expand upon your answer?

Kry

• Ex-developer
  • Retired admin

Read the section in http://wiki.amule.org/index.php/Getting_Started#Sharing_Files about the preferences. Then unselect that folder in the tree.

jazzmaniac

Thank you Kry.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 11:21:01 PM by jazzmaniac »

GonoszTopi

• The current man in charge of most things.
  • Administrator

I merged your two topics because they're actually one. I guess you got your answer, but if you still have any questions feel free to ask.

And on a side note, try to avoid looking impatient. We all are doing this in our free time, which is sometimes less than desired.
concordia cum veritate

jazzmaniac

GonoszTopi, thanks for  following up on the matter. I apologize for my impatience and again thank you for your time and invaluable contributions to the "project".