aMule Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We're back! (IN POG FORM)

Author Topic: "daemonize" option  (Read 5790 times)

paparullo

"daemonize" option
« on: July 01, 2006, 05:33:17 PM »

Suppose I have amule running and for some reason I have to quit my X session. It would be nice to have a way of turning the current instance into daemon mode, so I don't have to start it over again.

I might be wrong, but I guess when you restart amule you loose the time you have been waiting on semeones else queue, right?.

For the inverse (turning a running daemon into gui mode) you can always use amulegui, but it would be nice if I could also bring the daemon into full gui mode, since there are some features amulegui doesn't have, like the systray icon or files comments.

wuischke

• Developer
Re: "daemonize" option
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2006, 05:46:21 PM »

I might be wrong, but I guess when you restart amule you loose the time you have been waiting on semeones else queue, right?.
No. You ask the other one every some (29? Can't recall the exact number + to lazy to look up) minutes and the you receive your status. If you don't ask within 2 reask times you'll be dropped of the queue as a 'dead' source.
Thus you only use the currently active downloads when you restart and reconnect immediately.

lfroen

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2006, 06:14:18 PM »

You can't. X doesn't work this way. When X is quit, connection is closed and underlying toolkit (GTK in this case) causing application to quit.
Even if we could somehow ignore this request - we would need to re-initialize X, GTK, WX libs again when connection is gonna be re-created. I know no such way, and never met application that can do it. Did you ?

paparullo

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2006, 07:36:06 PM »

Originally posted by lfroen
You can't. X doesn't work this way. When X is quit, connection is closed and underlying toolkit (GTK in this case) causing application to quit.
Even if we could somehow ignore this request - we would need to re-initialize X, GTK, WX libs again when connection is gonna be re-created. I know no such way, and never met application that can do it. Did you ?

No, I was just wandering if it was possible :)
Anyway, knowing what wuischke said the feature doesn't make a lot of sense, since there is almost no loss in restarting amule.

Thanks, for the reply though.

JusTiCe8

• Approved Newbie
    • http://perso.wanadoo.fr/justice8
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2006, 11:51:04 AM »

You could merely run daemon on startup, and run amule-gui when your X session is up, then just quit X session, and daemon still running.

Remark: many improvments and developpment time is done in monolithic amule, I think it will be better to 'backport' these in amule gui (and daemon) then break up monolithic and just start daemon then amulegui instead of having this monolithic app.

Kry

• Ex-developer
  • Retired admin
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2006, 12:00:36 PM »

*sigh*

Improvements are made on both and backported.

And no, we're not going to stop monolithic development. Use forum search. We won't. Ever.

JusTiCe8

• Approved Newbie
    • http://perso.wanadoo.fr/justice8
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2006, 12:37:57 PM »

Originally posted by Kry
Improvements are made on both and backported.

?( I miss something, I just remember that some features missing in remotegui like 'last seen complete' field, ... maybe I'm wrong. (I was not able to run remote gui now to check again  :( )

And no, we're not going to stop monolithic development. Use forum search. We won't. Ever.

ok.

lfroen

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2006, 12:46:55 PM »

missing in remotegui like 'last seen complete' field

IIRC this was fixed in svn few weeks ago

Kry

• Ex-developer
  • Retired admin
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2006, 12:53:42 PM »

And of course there are things missing. It's not complete. Taht doens't mean it's ebcause we develop monolithic, is because noone finished it yet.

DLH

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2006, 04:49:50 PM »

Originally posted by JusTiCe8

Remark: many improvments and developpment time is done in monolithic amule, I think it will be better to 'backport' these in amule gui (and daemon) then break up monolithic and just start daemon then amulegui instead of having this monolithic app.

That's already been done - it's called mldonkey. We don't need another clone of that retarded piece of crap here. We should be greatful instead, to have "the best of both worlds" - unlike any other ed2k client.

lionel77

• Provider of Mac builds, Forum Mod
  • Mac OS X 10.4 (Power Mac G5)
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2006, 02:31:17 AM »

@DLH
While I do think that aMule is superior to mldonkey in many ways, mldonkey is definitively not a "retarded piece of crap". It even has a few handy features that aMule does not have yet, like for instance, a very sophisticated command line interface, and a very efficient system for detecting and banning clients that upload corrupted data. Just because we think aMule is the better client, we don't have to resort to pre-school level name calling imho.
Current aMule CVS builds for OS X can be found here.