aMule Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We're back! (IN POG FORM)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Update  (Read 869924 times)

sopinon

• Approved Newbie
Re: Update
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2006, 09:09:59 PM »

I can confirm the problem with kad and amuled...

After some hours, kad went offline and keeps offline.

After I've changed to the gui version, the problems with kad are gone now! (always connected)...

Kry

• Ex-developer
  • Retired admin
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2006, 12:47:53 AM »

YES, some people can confirm it. But as long as it doesn't happen to me there's nothing I can do.

realcruncher

• Approved Newbie
Todo
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2006, 01:23:13 PM »

Hi Kry,

you could destroy the UDP socket and create a new one if kad doesn't work any longer ?

Kry

• Ex-developer
  • Retired admin
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2006, 04:53:05 PM »

Taht's an interesting idea. I'll check the possibilities when I have time, around 2009 :P

vitorgatti

• Approved Newbie
    • http://vitorgatti.50webs.com
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2006, 02:11:37 AM »

Kry, which Linux distro do you use?

Yea, I know this is a FREE, Open-Source software and we can't complain, but we can give our opinions.
And some of them are very simple and important to implement in aMule's project.

I am not an expert-programmer (still learning at university), but if I was I would have done a lot of GUI-Improvements in aMule.
Not that aMule MUST be just like eMule, but some graphical-bugs could be fixed...

Is it that difficult? Or you simply never have time for this?

aMule is GREAT, but-and you have to consider that is the Only eMule's Linux ALIVE.
If aMule dies, Linux community won't have another good choice for ed2k downloads... :(

And, after I read all the posts of this thread, the only thing I can see and understand is that you don't really want to continue this project...
Only because "this bug doesn't happen to me" it is not a reason to "do nothing".
The bug, the crash, the protocol-obfuscation, the GUI-improvement, they aren't only for you and for your Linux distro, but for Everybody that uses Linux and like downloading files on the web.
Only a few people that uses Windows uses aMule... because eMule, comparing now, is better.
So... aMule is not for your PC, for your Linux distro.
It is for everybody...

Again: if I were an expert-programmer, I would have already fixed a lot of simple bugs in aMule... no, it is not that I have time, it is simply that I like ed2k files and use them very often and like to see people happy with something that I have done.

I've made a site that helps people configuring eMule, and I am always updating it with better explanations, better screenshots... the site is not for me, but for newbies. And it gets like one thousand visits per day (what surprised me).
If you wanna see it (it is in brazilian-portuguese, so maybe you won't understand :P):
http://www.tutorialemule.rg3.net

And, if aMule gets better and better, I will wanna make a site helping to configure aMule too!

Thanks for the attention and keep up with the good work :D

wuischke

• Developer
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2006, 09:23:53 AM »

Hi vitorgatti!

I think you get something wrong. Kry never said he will discontinue the project. And he's using Debian iirc.

About the improvements: You don't have to be a programmer to improve the GUI. All you need is either pencil and paper or GIMP and then you can start drawing your ideas. This way it's easy for the developers to change the gui.
About the simple bugs: Which one are they, could you list them (if they aren't in the bugtracker already)?

Anyway: Welcome to the forums and keep trying to improve aMule. ;)

Abraço

Aethereal

• Approved Newbie
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2006, 09:49:00 AM »

vitorgatti, I find your post very unfair.
aMule is a quite complex program, and Kry and the other active devs are doing a really good job, being so few.
Also I won't call "simple" any bug (or lack of feature), and if you were and expert-programmer you would know that even the littlest patch can break havock in the entire tree, and can't be done in a "casual" fashion.
A little, cosmetic feature can involve several changes in several files, and is therefore a waste of the already few coding resouces the project have. That's why Kry and the crew have priorities.
I am becoming sick of logging on the forums and see people whine about aMule having "bugs", and blaming Kry for not fixing them.
I am one of those who use aMuled (and with no choices, I can't have a graphic session on the pc running it) and my Kad always disconnect randomly between 1 to 4 hours after starting, without reconnecting. I already gave on the forum all my info and my ideas on the subject, but I know Kry can't work on it. And not because he doesn't want to, but because this problem doesn't generate any backtrace or log he can analyze, so he would have to observe it on his machine.
Of course I am perfectly aware Kry will answer to this post with a "No, it's because I'm evil"  :D
Kad works fine on the GUI version, so fixing it on the daemon is not high priority, and I live with it.
I know you are only trying to motivate the developers to create a great program for everyone needs, but I assure you they already feel it. Else, they would keep their code for themselves and use a "Krymule" optimized for their needs on their own machine alone. instead of releasing it on the net and put their efforts in creating "stable" versions for widespread release. I've seen a lot of other projects sticking with a CVS version only because, hei, it's free, do you want a quality review too?

Sorry for the rant, but it's a rainy day here...  ;)

vitorgatti

• Approved Newbie
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2006, 11:33:52 AM »

Yea,  I also know it is difficult to keep changing the code for "GUI-improvements" or "simple-bugfix".

But, for example:
- the Search: is it that difficult to make an function/procedure that saves the search methods? Me and everybody that uses aMule have to always choose Global Server - Extended Parameters - Audio/Video. BUT, if even Kry doesn't get annoyed with that, then he could say "this problem doesn't annoy me, so I won't do anything" O_o...

- the Statistics: they are nice, but could be better. They could have more of eMule's data too, like the Max Download/Upload Rate since first time running aMule, Max Time aMule functioning since first time. Because it only shows the session statistics (only Max Down and Max Up that is global). And I like seeing this, to get an idea of how "nice" I am being. Is it that difficult to implement this on the project?

And well, what I have in mind is that when you start a project, you have to know that people will complain, people will blame you, hate you. But ALSO love you, help you, give money to you :P
You have to analyze and use the helps and the money (of course xD) and get the compliments for you to have more motivation to continue the project. People blaming you have to be ignored :P

aMule could be a lot better than eMule, or as good as.
I am just saying this because I like aMule, and not because I just want aMule better and that's it.

I am not complaning. I am just giving my opinions.
I know how Kry feels when he opens his email and see some stupid questions about aMule. People send me stupid emails about how to configure eMule, how to get High ID, and other stuff. Hell yea, this sucks a lot.
But I have to be patient, and answer them all... because I started the site, I wanted to do it. So I have to "suffer the consequences" :)

I know aMule will get better. It just could at least be a litte faster... :P
aMSN is another project that is very slow.
Yea, this is all free... that is why I am not complaining :)
And I know there is a lot of people that don't care and keep complaining and blaming.

:)

Cimmo

• Approved Newbie
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2006, 12:32:46 PM »

Originally posted by wuischke
About the simple bugs: Which one are they, could you list them (if they aren't in the bugtracker already)?
I've just made a very detailed list about simple&annoying(tm) bugs, one of them was in bug tracker from months, still ignored...
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 12:34:15 PM by Cimmo »

Kry

• Ex-developer
  • Retired admin
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2006, 10:31:58 PM »

I don't really have the time to reply to all this posts :P

People that knows me will understand the irony of it.

As a side note, Aethereal explained quite well why
Only because "this bug doesn't happen to me" it is not a reason to "do nothing".
is not exact. The fact is, I can't do nothing against TAHT bug if it doens't ahppen to me. There's no way.

As for the one you say is "open and ignored", care to give a link?

sopinon

• Approved Newbie
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2006, 11:44:56 PM »

Originally posted by Kry
I don't really have the time to reply to all this posts :P

People that knows me will understand the irony of it.

As a side note, Aethereal explained quite well why
is not exact. The fact is, I can't do nothing against TAHT bug if it doens't ahppen to me. There's no way.

As for the one you say is "open and ignored", care to give a link?

What kind of informations could be usefull for you (or other developers), to solve the kad problem?

Perhaps you can reproduce the Bug if you know some details about my PC:
  • Kernel: 2.6.15-1-486
  • CPU: Pentium 4 360 3.0 GHz
Debian Packages (amule 2.1.3):
  • amule
  • amule-common
  • amule-daemon
  • amule-utils
  • amule-utils-gui
  • amule-console-utils
  • amule-gui-utils
  • amule-remote-gui

What else, could be usefull?

PS: At the moment, I'm running eMule 0.47c under wine on my linux box. There is the same problem. After some hours kad went down and keeps down until restart of eMule. But i don't think that it has something to do with the aMule Bug... has it?

PSS: Could it be, that kad crashes after I become a new IP address from my provider (every 20 hours)? I haven't chacked that. I don't know how to find out the "crashtime" of kad...
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 12:02:55 AM by sopinon »

vitorgatti

• Approved Newbie
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2006, 01:05:21 AM »

Well, you are the boss.
You know what you do :)

When vacation starts for you and someday you have nothing to do, try to correct these gui-bugs and simple-bugs, if possible.

And yes, there is something you can do if the problem occurs with a lot of people but not with you.
You can check the source-code and search for useless code / redundant code / generic code to make things in a hurry.
But do this only when you have free-annoyed-time ;)

Thanks

paparullo

« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2006, 04:29:50 AM »

Originally posted by sopinon

PSS: Could it be, that kad crashes after I become a new IP address from my provider (every 20 hours)? I haven't chacked that. I don't know how to find out the "crashtime" of kad...

Hi, I have a crappy internet connection which gets disconnected quite often. When I get reconnected (whit a different IP)  aMule keeps running but kad doesn't reconnect automatically.
Hope it helps  :)

btw, i'm running the gui version under Ubuntu edgy (aMule 2.1.3)

Menion

• Winter is coming...
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2006, 07:29:19 PM »

Kry, you know there have been some flames about protocol obfuscation. It is due to the fact that in some country amule becames unusable and also in countries without P2P filtering, the number of sources is decreasing day by day, due to "Obfuscated protocol only" enabled trasfer from some windows based clients. Can you report us the status about the implementation of this technically unusefull, but functionally necessary function? BTW, great work, Bye!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 07:29:56 PM by Menion »

Kamen

« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2007, 02:48:09 AM »

We can use that protocol obfuscation now more than ever, because as of a few days ago, I discovered that my ISP (only one in my country) is now blocking my UDP ports. It sent me on a frenzied search for open ports, to no avail. Kad network simply firewalled in every UDP port that I tried. In my desperation I even tried out various port sniffers, all ended in frustration. So Kademlia is dead to me now, even with eMule 0.47c. The solution that seems to be working for me, at least for the moment, is to turn off UDP, and fall back on Protocol Obfuscation. This at least gives me a consistent acceptable transfer rate. This is strong contrast to two nights ago, when my transfer rate fell below 10K/s.

And yeah, I would sue my ISP if I could.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4