aMule Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We're back! (IN POG FORM)

Author Topic: smart filter  (Read 2057 times)

rufus

• Approved Newbie
smart filter
« on: October 14, 2007, 10:37:59 PM »

Some people use ipfilter.dat from various sources. while others use PeerGuardian and the likes. None of them is "smart". PeerGuardian slows the system, always, even when no P2P is running, and is still subject to the quality of its list. I discovered that a "Global Search" for a bogus string, such as 374893245789345, leads to an interesting result..., and I do have the paranoid ipfilter list (about 10MB long) . So, it is clear to me that those lists do not work very well. Please, try yourself, and see that it is as bad as it gets. I propose to solve this problem using a smart ipfilter. When aMule starts, it connects, then runs a bogus "Global Search", and keeps collecting IP addresses from that search, in such a way that those servers cannot see the client's list of shared files (it can be done under the hood). Saving such IPs in the local ipfilter.dat would be smart too, and automatic sharing it would be even smarter....

Rufus

skolnick

• Global Moderator
  • CentOS 6 User
Re: smart filter
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 03:45:07 AM »

There are still some this not clear to me:

1. What is a "bogus" search for you?
2. What do you get from these bogus searches?
3. no server can see your shares, except for the one you are connected to, and that can be filtered by connecting only to static servers
4. The feature could lead to a DOS to the network, making it unusable

Regards.

rufus

• Approved Newbie
Re: smart filter
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2007, 02:34:38 PM »

> 1. What is a "bogus" search for you?

Oxford Dictionary (under OSX):

bogus
adjective
not genuine or true; fake

A "bogus search" is here a search whose results are not of interest per se, but for testing the client's functionality.

> 2. What do you get from these bogus searches?

Example:

key word: 4353452
Kad Search: 0 results (great!)
Local Search: 0 results (great!)
Global Search: 12 results (see attached png).

> 3. no server can see your shares, except for the one you are connected to,
> and that can be filtered by connecting only to static servers

By "server", in the specific case, I meant  the peers that store the searched data. The above png shows the number of "servers", not their IP. Further, if you try to download one of those files (risky) your client connects to only a few of those "servers", and you still do not have their IP. Further, as their IPs are not necessarily static, which is the core problem, the very aim of the smart filter is to catch them on the fly. So the process of collecting these dynamic IPs of bogus/fake servers by RIAA etc. can only be accomplished by instructing aMule under the hood. There is no way for the user to collect them by reading the IPs from the actual interface.

> 4. The feature could lead to a DOS to the network, making it unusable

I do not see how one such smart filter could lead to a DOS. After all, it "just" collects the IPs of those machines who answered to the search.

As far as I can see, Kad searches are the best at this time. They will work until RIAA etc will tap into them with their own machines, which is rather easy to do. aMule could outsmart the move by implementing the smart filter.

Rufus
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 02:36:50 PM by rufus »