aMule Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We're back! (IN POG FORM)

Author Topic: Why are uploads so much faster than downloads, and what can I do about it?  (Read 2856 times)

kuvasz

• Approved Newbie

"Why are uploads so much faster than downloads, and what can I do about it?"

I really like aMule, but I need to get past the learning curve.

Right now, my "up" is 16,4 while my "down" is 0,4, and it's generally been this way for the last 45 minutes - and this is not uncommon.   Also, my download speed is never higher than 9 and rarely higher than 5. 

I confess that I'm an aMule rookie and would appreciate some tips and hints for maximizing aMule.  I've not tinkered w/ the default settings . . . yet. 

For instance, how can I "encourage" a file to get going, as in finding new sources, or jump-starting a file that's been "waiting" for quite some time?  And how can I balance the upload & download speeds?

Thanks in advance for your help.

----------

10.4.10 on a mac

- k

« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 02:59:59 PM by kuvasz »

skolnick

• Global Moderator
  • CentOS 6 User

the ED2k network works with queues, where you wait until it's your turn to download. This is no kazaa or gnutella, here you have to wait. It's the way it works. Read the wiki for more info: http://wiki.amule.org

Regards.

kuvasz

• Approved Newbie

Thanks.  I went to the Wiki site and tested my TCP port.  Here's the message I received, "Error: TCP port 4662 is unavailable. Make sure your firewall or router is allowing/forwarding this TCP service port and your ED2K client is running."

1.  I'm using a laptop, so my connection is through the router.  Does that automatically mean that I'll always have Low ID?

2.  Also, how do I make sure that my ED2K client is running?

10-4 for now, and thanks for your help.

- k

skolnick

• Global Moderator
  • CentOS 6 User

Thanks.  I went to the Wiki site and tested my TCP port.  Here's the message I received, "Error: TCP port 4662 is unavailable. Make sure your firewall or router is allowing/forwarding this TCP service port and your ED2K client is running."

1.  I'm using a laptop, so my connection is through the router.  Does that automatically mean that I'll always have Low ID?
Nope, but you should configure your router to forward the aMule ports to your PC. Go to www.portforward.com, search for your router brand and model (or another similar one) and configure it. You should forward three ports: TCP port, UDP port (both configurable in the options) and the Server UDP port (Its number is fixed to TCP+3, which ever your TCP port number is).

2.  Also, how do I make sure that my ED2K client is running?

Because it's open...it's the same with every program, if it's open and it doesn't seem to be frozen, then it's running. Also make sure it's connected to a server or kad (look the icon in the lower-right corner of aMule, it changes colors displayuing the connections state).

10-4 for now, and thanks for your help.

- k

Regards.

kuvasz

• Approved Newbie

1.  I have a mac, btw, and portforward doesn't seem to be mac friendly.

2.  In the lower right hand corner, I have "kad off."  Now how do I change that?

3.  Also, how do you add a "manual server?"

- k

skolnick

• Global Moderator
  • CentOS 6 User

port forwarding is independant of what you use. Mac, windows, linux, all are the same, the port forwarding is a feature of your router. Kad off means you are not connected to kad, you should get a nodes.dat file with aMule and start kad. You add a manual server by typing its name, IP and port number, then clicking add in the networks tab of aMule.

Regards.

kuvasz

• Approved Newbie

I apologize, Skolnick.  I was wrong about portforwarding being unfriendly  to mac.  I went there and am working through the process of  forwarding my ports. 

1.  I found my router, a Verizon DSL VersaLink.

2.  I went to the common ports page and looked for amule, but all I could find was emule.

3.  I  made sure that the firewall is off.

4.  And where might I find a "nodes.dat file?"

5.  After reading about all this, I set my upload kbs to 1o and the download kbs to 40.  I hope that is correct.

Appreciate your patience.  I'm getting terrible download speeds, while my uploads sailing along, but I intend to correct this.

Thanks again.

- k

kuvasz

• Approved Newbie

"Some ISPs block or limit connections to the standard eD2k ports. Try changing the port in "Preferences"->"Connections" to some other values." - from the "AMule is slow" page.

So ... just any  "other values?"   And "the port."   Could we be a little more specific?  Which port are we talking about, & might we have a few suggested  "values?"

I'm over my head and I need specifics.

- k

skolnick

• Global Moderator
  • CentOS 6 User

a port is a number between 1025 (technically 1, but do not use numbers under 1025) and 65534. Just pick one for UDP, and another for TCP, that's it.

Kry

• Ex-developer
  • Retired admin

a port is a number between 1025 (technically 1, but do not use numbers under 1025) and 65534. Just pick one for UDP, and another for TCP, that's it.

[Nitpick] Actually, technically 0 [/Nitpick]

Vollstrecker

• Administrator
  • Unofficial Debian Packager
    • http://vollstreckernet.de

... and 65535
Homefucking is killing prostitution

skolnick

• Global Moderator
  • CentOS 6 User

the 65534 was a typo. However, when you choose 65535 in aMule doesn't it mean random port? or was it 65536?

Regards.