aMule Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We're back! (IN POG FORM)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: "mark as known" function in the popup when right-clicking a search result  (Read 32259 times)

sandal-hat

First of all, thanks for the good job, I've been using Amule for Linux for years.

My request :

For those of us who regularly search to see if new files have appeared on the network, for the same keywords and same searches, this option could be really useful.

It would add any file to "known.met" and change the color of the file, that way I don't have to re-download it if I've forgotten about it, or for the searches that have a lot of results, it would help to "manually" filter the results once and for all,  making the new files easy to spot.

When installing a new distro, importing all the known files with "known.met" would be really easy, too.

I'm not sure if I'm very clear, please give me some feedback.
Cheers.

sandal-hat

Re: "mark as known" function in the popup when right-clicking a search result
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 11:52:38 AM »

hello ? no takers ?  :)

leofisch

• Approved Newbie
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 07:22:49 PM »

. . . I agree!
As far as I remember:
This feature request is quite old and comes up from time to time.
This feature request is argumentative disregarded in favor of an "Intelligent Fake recognition".
Although, IMHO, this are two pairs of shoes, non of the features seem to find its way into aMule.
That is very sad, as it is a great piece of software!

phoenix

• Evil respawning bird from aMule Dev Team
  • Developer
  • The last shadow you'll ever see
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 01:50:04 AM »

First of all, thanks for the good job, I've been using Amule for Linux for years.
You're welcome.

It would add any file to "known.met" and change the color of the file, that way I don't have to re-download it if I've forgotten about it, or for the searches that have a lot of results, it would help to "manually" filter the results once and for all,  making the new files easy to spot.

When installing a new distro, importing all the known files with "known.met" would be really easy, too.
Adding a file to "known.met" requires information that the search does not provide. There are two different classes: CSearchFile and CKnownFile. Both descend from CAbstractFile, but as you might guess, you cannot construct a CKnownFile from a CSearchFile. "known.met" provides the date, the hashset and other tags from the file, and IIRC, these informations are not available at the time of the search.

On the other hand, the file hash, name and size are available to both CSearchFile and CKnownFile, but we would be missing the file date and the hashes, because the file does not exist in our disk, and this information is obtained as soon as the transfer is complete.

So, I don't see that as an "easy task", because we just don't have the required information. If you could please give some more details of the implementation that you have in mind, I might be able to implement it. But please, base your argument on the real world, not on statements like "that should be easy!".

I can imagine the following solution: if we commit the incomplete information we have about the file on "known.met", that entry would be just enough to recognize the file by its hash. The only problem here is that we might be breaking the file "known.met", and to be sure of that this is valid, I would need more documentation on that file or some advice from eMule authors or someone with the necessary knowledge, like Kry, but unfortunately he has been very busy with real life issues.

Cheers!

phoenix

• Developer
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 02:39:49 AM »

Hi again,

As of tomorrow, the CVS code will have the feature "mark as known" implemented, but commented. Anyone that wishes to test it must manually remove the following #ifdef at line 572 of SearchListCtrl.cpp:
Code: [Select]
#warning Uncomment this here to test the MP_MARK_AS_KNOWN feature. Beware! \
You are on your own here, this might break "known.met"
#if 0
menu.Append(MP_MARK_AS_KNOWN, _("Mark as known file"));
menu.AppendSeparator();
#endif

The warning says it all. Plese report your findings. Worked fine here, I marked a file as known, exited, re-entered aMule and the file was still known, what means that the information has been saved to "known.met", but I don't know about long term consequences.

Cheers!

sandal-hat

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2007, 11:57:37 AM »

wow, I've been away for a while and this is a nice surprise, thanks, I will test it right away

phoenix

• Developer
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 04:05:48 PM »

Please, post your impressions.

Cheers!

IhmSelbst

• http://www.ed2k-serverboard.de/
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 01:11:01 AM »

Hi,
sri, but it seems, this doesn't work over sessions here. Actually, the files stay only marked during the current session.

cu

Xaignar

• Admin and Code Junky
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 05:21:00 PM »

It's probably not a good idea to use the current approch, as we do not know the long term consequences. A simpler solution would be to simply save the filename (optional, but useful information), hash and size to a list, and then check against that.

phoenix

• Developer
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008, 10:49:15 PM »

Hi,
sri, but it seems, this doesn't work over sessions here. Actually, the files stay only marked during the current session.
Did you remove the #if 0  /  #endif pair from the source code?

If not, please read my post above.

leofisch

• Approved Newbie
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2008, 12:45:48 AM »

Hi to the board

@phoenix:
what does this feature is really good for? (Maybe I do not understand the sens/target behind it)

IMHO the normal procedure, specially for multimedia content, is the following:
  • search for files related to a topic "XYZ".
    At this stage it is unrealistic to decide to 'mark as known' because I know nothing about the available files.
  • start to download some files related to the topic "XYZ".
  • After some (short) time I can preview the files in the actual processing downloads.
    Now I can decide (after ~5% downloaded) to dump the file or to proceed the download.
    At this stage it is realistic to decide to 'mark as known' because I can rate the content of the file.

So to me it would make more sens to be able to
  • 'mark as known' - a partial downloaded file, because I could rate the content, from the transmission window
  • stop or abort a download, that I, for some reason, did not want to proceed.
  • Start a new search after 1/2 year.
  • Realise the already known files in the search list,
    although I aborted approx. 90% of them
  • send a big thank you to the coders for this nice feature

Comments welcome and

Regards to the coders

IhmSelbst

• http://www.ed2k-serverboard.de/
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2008, 01:58:05 AM »

Did you remove the #if 0  /  #endif pair from the source code?

If not, please read my post above.
Hi,
yes, of course, otherwise, I probably couldn't mark the files at all. The popup also provides the corresponding menuitem, and files can be marked. But, after a newstart, they are "forgotten" again.

cu

phoenix

• Developer
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2008, 02:33:19 AM »

@phoenix:
what does this feature is really good for? (Maybe I do not understand the sens/target behind it)
The feature does exactly this: gives you the capability of adding any searched file to known.met. That way, in a next search it will appear with a different color, as if you had already started a download with it.

The idea behind it is that you have prejudged that you know the file and you are not interested, so the next time you search you can concentrate on files you have not downloaded or prejudged.

Hi,
yes, of course, otherwise, I probably couldn't mark the files at all. The popup also provides the corresponding menuitem, and files can be marked. But, after a newstart, they are "forgotten" again.
This is odd because it has worked here, but it has been a while since I last used it. Could you do a quick check to see if the file has been added to known.met?

Cheers!

leofisch

• Approved Newbie
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2008, 04:57:11 PM »

@phoenix:
The feature does exactly this: gives you the capability of adding any searched file to known.met. That way, in a next search it will appear with a different color, as if you had already started a download with it.

The idea behind it is that you have prejudged that you know the file and you are not interested, so the next time you search you can concentrate on files you have not downloaded or prejudged.

Sorry to say,
to me that is an odd feature, or procedure, with regard to real live and usage of this software.
How can you prejudge something you do not know? Where do you get the information from?

phoenix

• Developer
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2008, 07:47:10 PM »

Hi leofisch,

There are many obvious fake files, it is easy to prejudge on some cases.

There are other uses as well, you could for example have lost known.met because of a full reinstalation, and you are sure about certain files that do not interest you.

I know it is not THAT usefull, but that is what it serves for.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4