aMule Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We're back! (IN POG FORM)

Author Topic: Dual Boot compatibility  (Read 11162 times)

nikio

• Approved Newbie
Dual Boot compatibility
« on: November 22, 2008, 05:42:50 PM »

I have a dual boot system, ubuntu-winXP.
I installed emule on windows and amule on linux; sharing the temp folder I obtained that dowloads continue no matter which system I boot.
Everything works fine until I use cathegories, in that case my files get messed up...
If  I install amule on windows too, would that solve the problem?
If not, are you planning a workaround for it?

Stu Redman

• Administrator
  • Engines screaming
Re: Dual Boot compatibility
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 07:22:26 PM »

In what way do your files get "messed up" ?

If  I install amule on windows too, would that solve the problem?
If you only use aMule on Windows and Linux, yes. (If the reason is an incompatibility in how cats are defined between the two Mules).
The image of mother goddess, lying dormant in the eyes of the dead, the sheaf of the corn is broken, end the harvest, throw the dead on the pyre -- Iron Maiden, Isle of Avalon

nikio

• Approved Newbie
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 07:58:27 PM »

I thought that there was a problem with different paths definitions... seams like in .met files the path of the destination directory is stored in windows style in emule...

Stu Redman

• Administrator
  • Engines screaming
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 09:31:05 PM »

Cat is stored just as a number in the met. The path is stored in your config.
You should not use the same config dir for eMule and aMule however.

In what way do your files get "messed up" ?
The image of mother goddess, lying dormant in the eyes of the dead, the sheaf of the corn is broken, end the harvest, throw the dead on the pyre -- Iron Maiden, Isle of Avalon

nikio

• Approved Newbie
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 01:27:27 AM »

By messed up I mean that files would not complete, in the . met file normally there is one line with the title of the downloading file, while in this case there were more lines, with different titles, and there was no correspondence between the .met and the .met.bak file titles...
I don't know if all this happend the first time I started amule after emule, or by going continuously from one to the other

I wasn't enough audacious to link directly the config files of emule, but I've probably copyed them hoping that cathegories would match... anyway not a brilliant idea I suppose!

Stu Redman

• Administrator
  • Engines screaming
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 11:41:08 AM »

It should work if you just make a copy of eMule's config directory and then use it as config directory for aMule. Just verify the cats are defined equally in both. If there are less cats defined in aMule the downloads simply go to the basic cat.
The met files should be compatible, I don't understand how you got them corrupted. Maybe you can start a new download on eMule, then switch to aMule and check if there is a problem again ?

nikio

• Approved Newbie
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 01:39:18 PM »

At the moment I have many, rare files in download, i can't even think of ruining something... but as soon as I finish I will try and I'll post the outcome, meanwhile thankyou for information!