aMule Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We're back! (IN POG FORM)

Author Topic: Fedora doesn't support older x86 CPUs anymore.  (Read 5890 times)

iz0bbz

• Gort! Klaatu barada nikto!
Fedora doesn't support older x86 CPUs anymore.
« on: October 06, 2009, 02:43:16 PM »

In F11, fedora base architecture raised from i386 to i586. Now F12 will be shipped for i686 processors and above.

Doing so, in one year they have lost support for the following CPU families:

Intel i386, i486, i586
National Semiconductor Geode processors
VIA C3, Ezra and Samuel Cores (my box is involved too, s**t)
AMD Geode GX

IMO one of the valuable points of open source software, among others, was the ability to inject new life into old hardware.
Here, the fedora project have lost support for many boxes in order to a gain, with their words,  a "1% improvement in generic code"  :o

I really cannot understand that.

Stu Redman

• Administrator
  • Engines screaming
Re: Fedora doesn't support older x86 CPUs anymore.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 07:35:10 PM »

Getting the most out of new hardware sure is another valuable point, and way more interesting for a hobby dev than running conformance tests on old electronic waste pilfered from the junk yard (which is what "support" is supposed to mean) as you might understand. And older software behaves better on old hardware anyway. Nobody will take your F10 from you.
The image of mother goddess, lying dormant in the eyes of the dead, the sheaf of the corn is broken, end the harvest, throw the dead on the pyre -- Iron Maiden, Isle of Avalon

iz0bbz

• Gort! Klaatu barada nikto!
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 09:03:52 PM »

Stu, I understand the points you highligthed, but I might agree only if  "getting the most out of new hardware" results in something much higher than a miserable 1%.
The only piece of software that can have a practical improvement compiling it against different x86 instruction sets is the linux kernel itself (and actually most distributions do that).

Kry

• Ex-developer
  • Retired admin
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 09:59:46 PM »

I find this to be extremely easy. F11 doesn't support your hardware. There are a gazillion distros that do. Use debian?

Also, 1% of improvement is something I would kill for some times. It all adds up.

Don't get me wrong, I understand your concerns and annoyance. But this is the kind of move that just means "We're trying to target end-users".

Festor

• Offline -> Studying...
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 10:58:29 PM »

There are a gazillion distros that do. Use debian?

Good idea. If you do that you will see a very, very,, veryyyyy "little" improvement in the speed of packages installation  ::)

No offense, but by my experience rpm does not work at the speed of light... ~_~
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 11:04:06 PM by Festor »

Kry

• Ex-developer
  • Retired admin
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 11:50:05 PM »

To be fair, a big apt-get upgrade can take ages in my box. And it's not a low-end box.

fabtar

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 09:43:25 AM »

Nobody will take your F10 from you.
I  agree, when a release is working fine there is no reason to upgrade.
Perhaps there are  issues about security fixes and software updates when a distro ends support for an old release (no legacy support).
In fact fedora sucks a bit from this point of view, short release life cycles and dramatic package upgrades during the same release are a pain for guys looking for trouble-free operating systems.
Fedora is for cuttin'edge guys (no suraprise if they are looking for cuttin'edge hardware).  

Another nice point about Linux is that you can stuck on an older release and self-compile the needed ones.
+There are tons of distro around which still supports "old & improbable hardware"
Mldonker looking around