aMule Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We're back! (IN POG FORM)

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: Guybrush's struggle to get aMule running on a Mips router  (Read 58583 times)

GuybrushThreepwood

Re: SVN 9834: WARNING! Client UDP-Socket discarded packet
« Reply #75 on: June 02, 2010, 02:11:28 PM »

I've made a quick search and I've found this topic:

http://www.amule.org/amule/index.php?topic=16193.0

on the aMule forum. It seems that the error that I get isn't something to be alarmed by (Kry speaks of 'checking') so how could this be related to the swap crash? Maybe it's only a coincidence... When you can, please tell me if I need to build another version between 9548 and 9584 (9566 is the next candidate) or try anything else... Thanks for your advices! :)

Stu Redman

• Administrator
  • Engines screaming
« Reply #76 on: June 02, 2010, 02:23:46 PM »

No idea. There isn't much left.
Try 9566 next.
The image of mother goddess, lying dormant in the eyes of the dead, the sheaf of the corn is broken, end the harvest, throw the dead on the pyre -- Iron Maiden, Isle of Avalon

GuybrushThreepwood

« Reply #77 on: June 03, 2010, 12:47:20 AM »

No idea. There isn't much left.
Try 9566 next.

Have you lost any hope like me? I was making some more research and I've found this topic:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-492270-start-0.html

Nothing special or new but it made me think... It probably isn't a bug but only an high request for memory (due to some misterious reasons) that my poor router couldn't satisfy but I ask to myself: "Why a so high swap usage while it never happened with 9548? What modification caused this?".
By the way, I've built 9566 and I would try it tomorrow. I hope, if not to succeed, at least that you wouldn't start to hate me! ;)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 12:49:36 AM by GuybrushThreepwood »

Stu Redman

• Administrator
  • Engines screaming
« Reply #78 on: June 03, 2010, 01:24:21 AM »

Hey, this thread hasn't half the posts RRM's had, and we found the problem in the end. So don't lose hope. :)
The image of mother goddess, lying dormant in the eyes of the dead, the sheaf of the corn is broken, end the harvest, throw the dead on the pyre -- Iron Maiden, Isle of Avalon

GuybrushThreepwood

« Reply #79 on: June 04, 2010, 07:38:20 PM »

Even 9566 crashes as always so, before building the next candidate (9556 ), I've reinstalled the good old 9548 to test it under EXACTLY the same conditions that 9566 had just failed with. As expected, EVERYTHING fine as always. Then, I've built 9556 and I'm testing it right now: by now it's working absolutely fine.
I'm not planning to give up but this is starting to become a nightmare! :( How many SVNs have I built, configured and tested so far? I've lost the count! ;)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 07:41:39 PM by GuybrushThreepwood »

Stu Redman

• Administrator
  • Engines screaming
« Reply #80 on: June 04, 2010, 08:39:40 PM »

Did you reinstall or rebuild 9548?
Please rebuild it. Maybe it's something with your environment.

GonoszTopi

• The current man in charge of most things.
  • Administrator
« Reply #81 on: June 04, 2010, 10:36:57 PM »

I'm not planning to give up but this is starting to become a nightmare! :( How many SVNs have I built, configured and tested so far? I've lost the count! ;)
Not much left:
[9549, 9551, 9553] <(9556)> [9561, 9563]

The revisions missing from this list are either
 - commits on another branch (9550, 9554, 9555, 9557, 9559), or
 - MacOSX-specific (9552, 9558, 9560), or
 - shell script fix (9562), or
 - translation update (9564, 9565).
concordia cum veritate

GuybrushThreepwood

« Reply #82 on: June 05, 2010, 10:14:20 AM »

Did you reinstall or rebuild 9548?
Please rebuild it. Maybe it's something with your environment.

You had already suggested this (maybe you've forgotten it but it's normal because you aren't currently following this only but many other and more complex issues! ;) ) and I had already rebuilt it with my current build environment replacing the printf in MuleUDPsocket.cpp to reproduce the discarded packets (due to disconnections as already understood in this thread) logging. Yesterday I've only reinstalled it but after rebuilding it from scratch only a couple of months ago and with my current build environment: it isn't the 'original' 9548 that I've built as soon as it was released.
By the way, my build environment hasn't never changed since when I've set it up and I successfully used it to build other things too and I continue to do it.
That said, I've used 9556 for eighteen hours (a good test I think) and it has worked very well (like 9548 I could say). The only strange thing happened when I've decided to exit from aMule... I use a little script that kills all the processes related to aMule and, if activated by the startup script, turns the swap off: when called, the 'killall amuled' command failed (all the amuled -f instances could still be seen doing a 'ps') and the successive 'swapoff /dev/sda6' being sda6 my swap partition failed with the recurrent 'Cannot allocate memory' message. This time it was something different though because, as said, aMule was stable: after almost a minute all the amuled instances were terminated then I could call the swapoff command while I think that the other newer versions tested actually crashed and the swap issue was only a side-effect.
I'm starting to think about retrying 9566 making a couple of checks that I've in mind (more or less the ones made with 9556) and see what happens. With the right results, it could be that the 'culprit' is the file autoclose feature as already guessed by StuRedman and I could try to build one of the lastest SVNs disabling the CBB and the file autoclose feature though this could be too reckless... ;)
Thanks to GonoszTopi too for his summarizing, I find it very helpful.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 10:31:00 AM by GuybrushThreepwood »

GuybrushThreepwood

« Reply #83 on: June 08, 2010, 04:14:12 PM »

There are some news... The 9566 remained more or less stable but proved to be heavier than 9556 on resources: the router seemed to swap a lot as the hard drive was almost constantly working while 9556 was much more 'quite' (with the same downloads so almost under the same conditions).
I've definitively understood  the 'Cannot allocate memory' issue: while with 9548 all the amuled -f instances are IMMEDIATELY terminated then the following swapoff command succeeds, with 9566 and 9556 (very likely to be the same even with the other versions tested) it takes much more time and this leads to the 'Cannot allocate memory' error message due to the fact that the swap is still being used. What was strange is that while 9556 took almost a minute to terminate all the amuled -f instances, 9566 took at least five minutes: I don't know if this could be a relevant information or not... Is there any change from 9549 on that could justify the increase in the time needed for the amuled instances to be terminated? By the way, 9548 remains the most stable version that I've tested so far.
Are there any relevant changes between 9556 and 9566? What could be the next step? Could the file autoclose feature really be a culprit? Is there a simple way to disable it (along with the CBB) to try, let's say, one of the newer versions 'patching' it a little or is it out of question? Thanks for your replies.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 04:21:35 PM by GuybrushThreepwood »

Stu Redman

• Administrator
  • Engines screaming
« Reply #84 on: June 08, 2010, 10:54:58 PM »

About the termination issue I suspect the signal handler introduced in 9549 might be related. Maybe that's the issue. Can you try 9549 next?
So what do we have:
9548 works
9549 mmap file area signal handler introduced
9561 fix for signal handler, mmap disabled completely
9563 configure option for mmap
9572 New functions for converting Kad IPs to string.
9585 file autoclose
9590 CBB

To disable the signal handler just replace the
#if !defined(HAVE_SIGACTION) || !defined(SA_SIGINFO)...
near the beginning of FileArea.cpp with #if 1

GuybrushThreepwood

« Reply #85 on: June 08, 2010, 11:48:23 PM »

Thanks for your reply: great as always! I would try 9549 ASAP.

GuybrushThreepwood

« Reply #86 on: June 11, 2010, 08:27:06 PM »

I've 'patched' 9549 and built it. It has been working for six hours now and it's going very well. I've already tried a killall on the amuled processes and it's as fast and reliable as with 9548 so no issues with the swapoff command or else. The signal handler is very likely to be the cause as expected by Stu but I would keep you updated.

Stu Redman

• Administrator
  • Engines screaming
« Reply #87 on: June 11, 2010, 10:49:52 PM »

If this keeps working walk your way up to newer versions, always keeping the signal handler disabled.

GuybrushThreepwood

« Reply #88 on: June 15, 2010, 06:16:18 PM »

9549 with the signal handler disabled has proven to be stable so I've built 10210 patching FileArea.cpp (to disable the signal handler), MuleUDPSocket.cpp (to disable the discarded packets logging due to disconnections) and amule.cpp (to avoid the uclibc 1Gb issue), being the last two modifications exactly the same that I've been successfully applying for ages now.
It seemed to work well but after almost four hours I've tried to connect to it and aMuleGUI reported no connection (both Kad and ed2K were down) and no downloads in the downloads list (though there were; I'm speaking of downloads, not active ones) nor uploads. The aMuleGUI window was completely blank apart from the interface. Though the ADSL carrier was up, I couldn't navigate at all. As soon as I've stopped aMule, everyhing went back to normal: I could do the swapoff command and navigate with no issues at all without the need for rebooting the router.
Now I've started aMule again: let's see what happens... What I've noticed is that the connection by aMuleGUI (the refresh rates too) is VERY VERY slow.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 06:19:29 PM by GuybrushThreepwood »

Stu Redman

• Administrator
  • Engines screaming
« Reply #89 on: June 16, 2010, 08:31:44 PM »

Try 10140 (old GUI). There are issues with amulegui and the new gui at the moment.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9