aMule Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We're back! (IN POG FORM)

Author Topic: Port forward without access to router?  (Read 2130 times)

a_mule

Port forward without access to router?
« on: January 02, 2016, 02:32:54 AM »

It's the first time I'm using amule  :)

After some fiddling, I was able to get the arrows of "the globe icon in the bottom-right of the window" to turn green (http://wiki.amule.org/wiki/Getting_Started#High_and_Low_ID )

The arrows turned green only when the router's settings were tweaked as in http://portforward.com/

Today I was lucky,
but sometimes I don't have any agency over the connections I use,
and lack any type of access to router or similar.

Would the tweaks of portforward.com be possible without any access to router?

HKM

• You don't know enough to know that you don't know.
Re: Port forward without access to router?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 04:35:38 AM »

In simple term NO. As in general our P2P ED2K(2G)/KAD(3G) clients are mostly ~Mule and time to time you will see mldoney, lphant. So if you don't have access to the gateway to manually setup standard full cone static NAT/PAT table then your out of luck as it doesn't support NAT-T and IPv6 as well. As these client's don't utilize anything other than basic UPnP/NAT-PMP support if enabled by the gateway.

Edit: link removed
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 10:14:28 AM by GonoszTopi »

a_mule

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 08:00:57 PM »

Oh well, c'est la vie.

Thanks for your reply!

HKM

• You don't know enough to know that you don't know.
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 09:49:35 PM »

No problem, but don't be discouraged and continue to share on our network :) as all your bandwidth belongs to us. But below is an old post of mine you may want to read it for informative purpose as it will give you better understanding on LowID.

Quote from: HKM on October 18, 2008, 09:41:36 PM in Default LowID vs HighID
Sorry, I didn't see this question before as this is a very good question that most people yet don't understand in great details. Now to understand it you need to first know how server determines if user is LowID or HighID and based on WAN-IP itself the server issues an ID.

Now the type of ID is determined by calculating users own WAN-IP and open availability and acceptance of incoming transmission. For many reasons user may receive LowID but most commonly because they haven't yet setup their own connection and opened all necessary ports for client to function properly. Now this can be sometime in users own hand where they have full autonomous access to the physical network device such as gateway, router, software/hardware firewall and they haven't taken the time to correctly forward it. Also could be outside of users hand for example in corporate environment, home or in public area such as library, net café where user does not have access to the network device or settings. Some domestic and foreign ISP have their own DPI/SPI switch that interferes with incoming and outgoing queries along with small ISP that uses NAT as they don't have enough IP allocated to them by IANA to serve its subscriber, good example in China that can cause problems.

Sometime ED2K servers occasionally issues a LowID even when setting is correct due to bug/error on server’s side. But if you encounter it and you know you always receive HighID because your network setting is correct and fully functional then just disconnect and reconnect to ED2K server and you will hopefully get a HighID. Also if user has value 0; zero in any octets on their IP then they may also receive LowID because the value is calculated by adding and multiplying each octet itself.

There are huge benefits when it comes to having HighID. As user can request file from both other HighID users and LowID users. But for LowID user the query is relayed from ED2K Server to HighID/LowID users. Having HighID has an advantage because they don't have to compete with LowID users in limited queue slot of LowID user because LowID users can't yet send/receive from other LowID users.

HighID <in|out> HighID
HighID <in|out> LowID
LowID <in|out> HighID
LowID <not possible> LowID

Now the disadvantage of having LowID is limiting your source when requesting files. As you can ONLY send/receive file from HighID users it limits your overall capabilities when it comes to rare files that maybe a LowID user have chunk yet you can't request it as you don't connect to it. Having a LowID also affects the ED2k server itself in high bandwidth usage as query is forwarded but the file is still exchanged via user to user but not though ED2K server.

Now if you understand how connection is established between two hosts you will understand the following scheme below in osi-4 transport layer.

TCP packet from HighID client > ED2K Server
ED2K Server > HighID client:ACK
ED2K Server > LowID client:callback
LowID client > ED2K Server:ACK

If I still remember correctly the packet is sent though TCP socket and almost 4 TCP packet is sent with 40bytes of TCP overhead. Now this can be a problem when large number of user in ED2K server is LowID users because server receives 1 TCP callback 10sec for each LowID clients. Now if there are 25k LowID users thats 25k callback per/sec and 50k packets in both direction. As you can see why its drains ED2K server’s bandwidth.

If you are wondering why LowID to LowID is not still possible then you didn't understand anything I have said above so ill try to use simple analogy using normal phone system. So LowID means that user is not accepting incoming connections, but it can initiate outgoing connections and receive incoming replies to their outgoing connections. In simple term it’s like someone who never picks up their phone if someone calls them, but they can call other people if they wanted. So you can call them and leave a message and they will call you back. So therefore two people who refuse to accept incoming connections can't speak to each other because none of them can make the connection to the other because the other will always refuse it.

PS: I hope this explains better for those who don’t know what HighID/LowID means. It’s been sometime since I kept up with lugdunum's ED2K Server so if I am wrong in something correct me.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Edit: link removed
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 10:15:08 AM by GonoszTopi »