aMule Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We're back! (IN POG FORM)

Author Topic: No more connection to Kad (or servers)  (Read 23848 times)

bobmarleyfan

• Approved Newbie
No more connection to Kad (or servers)
« on: August 05, 2016, 12:51:29 AM »

Connecting to servers hasn't been working for a long time. I deactivated it as Kad did work.
However, Kad stopped working yesterday. I was low on drive space and aMule paused all downloads. Now I started them again (there is free drive space on the download drive) but can't get a Kad connection.
I always have active uploads very soon after starting aMule. But I don't get downloads. No sources for any download and on the bottom right of the program window aMule reports that it is connecting, but it never gets connected.
I downloaded a nodes.dat from http://www.nodes-dat.com
I put this where aMule has the nodes.dat stored in the file system.
This list is supposed to be fresh.
In the aMule log I get this warning: "HTTPDownload.cpp(395): HTTP: WARNING: Void response on stream creation"
It also reports that it can't download some version file (amule.cpp(1627): ).

I also tried servers once more but as last time about 2 years ago, it does not connect to any servers. I used this server list: http://edk.peerates.net/servers.met

I am using aMule 2.3.1 on Mac OS 10.9.
My firewall is configured so I am used to always getting a "connected" status (not a "firewalled" status) with no problems. So that shouldn't be the problem
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 12:57:25 AM by bobmarleyfan »

HKM

• You don't know enough to know that you don't know.
Re: No more connection to Kad (or servers)
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 09:45:57 AM »

First of all locate your default aMule directory and back it up by just renaming it to something else, now restart aMule and then close it. You will notice you are able to connect now hopefully if thats the same problem which ill explain in few. So if it works you will have OLD and NEW aMule directories. What you need to do is migrate your old files by copying into new one.

Block1: cryptkey.dat, preferences.dat, preferencesKad.dat
Block2: amule.conf, remote.conf, shareddir.dat
Block3: clients.met, known.met, known2_64.met
Block4: ipfilter.dat, nodes.dat, server.met (emule-security.org)

The problem is when you ran out of disk space aMule force closed itself once it failed to write. So even if you did clean your disk space its allocated in one of the files and will show and throw error which I have seen once in aMuleD in CLI. I don't remember which file it was that caused it as I didn't have enough time to investigate. See if moving these Blocks of file works as you will still retain your old setting and get rid of the junks, report back if it works or doesn't work.

bobmarleyfan

• Approved Newbie
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 12:02:06 AM »

Thanks HKM.

The drive was not at 0MB. It was at about 600MB. I did set aMule to stop all downloads if that value was reached.

There was no remote.conf

I did not copy clients.met, known.met, known2_64.met because I suspect these are places where recent working server IPs are stored. Since I haven't been connected to any server since maybe 1-2 years (only used Kad), this would not make much sense.
Otherwise, I did as you proposed.

First thing I noticed: I immediately was connected to a server. That hadn't worked for ages.
Downloads work.
I am both connected to a server and Kad.

Very often the GUI freezes while aMule is doing stuff (whatever that is). The CPU is not the bottleneck since every other application is very responsive. CPU use stays under 6%. RAM: 10GB unused.
Number of downloads and total download speed is higher than I was used to with (only) Kad connection. It's below torrent though, so that isn't a bottleneck, either.
However, it works. That's an improvement.

Let me know if you have further tips to minimize aMule being unreactive while it is busy.

I'd also like to understand what the problem was and how I can avoid that in the future.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 12:05:30 AM by bobmarleyfan »

GonoszTopi

• The current man in charge of most things.
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 09:07:27 AM »

I did not copy clients.met, known.met, known2_64.met because I suspect these are places where recent working server IPs are stored.

http://wiki.amule.org/wiki/AMule_files
concordia cum veritate

HKM

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2016, 09:12:46 AM »

Well i'm glad everything is back and normal working for you again. But keep in mind you don't need to hit 0MB disk quota for it to stop as you can have preallocation on which will fully write the chunk/parts to disk before its completed. Now that being said that’s all based on your settings and resource. Now the second thing is all the ED2K servers are located on server.met and nodes to bootstrap for KAD is located on nodes.dat the clients.met keeps all known clients valid transaction details of other users the known/known2.met are hash of all the file you sharing.

Now I can't comment of aMule deployed on Mac as mostly I have tried it on LINUX (Slack/SuSE/CentOS) and it worked perfectly. Also why are you just relying on KAD? it was NEVER fully designed to replace ED2K as it been discussed for over half decade of its flaws which is another thread of its own. But as it takes hours for it fully propagate and all is not shared at once based on size of your file collection. Majority of folks uses KAD as supplementary to ED2K as we understand its duality of conjunction. Yes ED2K (2G-P2P) scheme has its flaws but that is also its greatest strength compared to KAD (3G-P2P) based DHT.

bobmarleyfan

• Approved Newbie
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2016, 11:25:05 PM »

I have one more question: aMule does not automatically connect to servers. When I double click a server in the list, then I get an immediate connection. The auto connect option in the preferences is active both for servers and Kad. But it only works for Kad.

you don't need to hit 0MB disk quota

I know and I didn't. aMule was set to stop at 600MB left. Actually there was 120GB free but Mac OS isn't always aware when using disk images.

you can have preallocation

I am aware of that. Waste of space.

why are you just relying on KAD?

I was only using Kad after aMule did not connect to any servers any longer. As Kad did work, I did not investigate this further.

Thanks again for the quick assistance.  :)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 11:37:05 PM by bobmarleyfan »

HKM

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2016, 09:06:13 AM »

Open amule.conf and find these entries below and change the value if its different. 0 = Off | 1 = On, post back if it works or not.

Autoconnect=1
ConnectToED2K=1

I suggest you update server.met if you haven’t done it from (emule-security.org) and then make eMule Security No1 static and high priority. You can also from setting change it to connect to static only server.

bobmarleyfan

• Approved Newbie
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 09:27:34 PM »

These 2 parameters are already set to 1. aMule does not connect to a server regardless.

Open amule.conf and find these entries below and change the value if its different. 0 = Off | 1 = On, post back if it works or not.

Autoconnect=1
ConnectToED2K=1

I suggest you update server.met if you haven’t done it from (emule-security.org) and then make eMule Security No1 static and high priority. You can also from setting change it to connect to static only server.

HKM

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 05:09:35 AM »

Did you update to new server.met? also is your network setup correctly with all ports forwarded on OS and switch/router and modem?

bobmarleyfan

• Approved Newbie
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 09:18:18 PM »

I updated server.met earlier this month.

The port forwarding has always been in place. Once I double-click a server, I get an immediate connection (no "firewalled" status).

Did you update to new server.met? also is your network setup correctly with all ports forwarded on OS and switch/router and modem?

HKM

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2016, 10:44:44 PM »

If it worked before and stop working now then something changed. Verify the correct ports on aMule.conf and then based on the OS if its using firewall/filter make sure its open. Then on hardware modem/switch/gateway/router/ect also make sure those ports reflect the ones in aMule. If same result then as I have said backup your local aMule dir and do a fresh install and reconfig it and see whats going on. If nothing works it maybe your ISP who is filtering it but thats once you rule out all your local config is set.