aMule Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We're back! (IN POG FORM)

Author Topic: Updated! -> .oO ALL TRANSLATORS READ THIS!!! Oo.  (Read 6001 times)

Jacobo221

Updated! -> .oO ALL TRANSLATORS READ THIS!!! Oo.
« on: March 27, 2005, 01:53:57 AM »

Please stop your translations right now!!!

After your repeated requests, we have decided to work on a complete rewrite of _all_ strings in aMule so that translators (you) can easily know what you are translating. In other words, to make your life easier.

After this rewrite, you will no longer wonder what some string really means or where it goes. It will (hopefully) be in a plain clear context, so you won't need to run your translations to see whether your translated string is correct for this context or that one.

So, please STOP right now your translations.

Whether your old work will be usable or not, is not beyond our capacities (sorry), so maybe you will be able to keep almost all of your translation. Or maybe not :-(

You will all be contacted as soon as this rework is completed, so you can go on with your translations. If we all keep it up, with 28 different translations, aMule will be, since 2.0.0 release, the P2P client with most translations available ever!! :-D

As in a REAL UTOPIC LIFE, we will work as a team: we will rework all the translations code; you will rework all the translations. It is going to take us a lot of pain and time, but there's something I'm certain of: WE WILL LOVE IT! :-)

P.S.: By the way, some translators are defunct (Missing In Action). So, people, even if you see that some translation is already in aMule, please ask if you can continue with that translation, since it is possible that it's translator has dropped it and your language is not supported any more ;-) "Asking hurts no one"!

thedude0001

• evil bugfinder ;)
Re: Updated! -> .oO ALL TRANSLATORS READ THIS!!! Oo.
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005, 08:07:46 PM »

Not absolutely the right place, but I don't think we should open too many "sticky" threads so I'll just post this here and make this one a "read this" thread for translations...  :D

When amule is compiled with gtk1 the width of every button (transfers, shared files, etc) is the same, and this width is set by the widest button. So if one of the button texts is too long the result is that some buttons are not shown in amule. For an example look here: http://forum.amule.org/thread.php?threadid=5649&sid=

So please use texts for these buttons not longer than ~15 letters so everything will still be visible with 1024*768.
Das Schlimme auf dieser Welt ist
daß die Dummen so selbstsicher sind
und die Gescheiten so voller Zweifel.

Jacobo221

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2005, 05:52:04 AM »

The rework on strings is done! And good news: not many strings have to be updated! :-)

You should all (translators) recieve an email within the next minutes with some information regarding the translation and the usual "else/extra" info.

All translators (or translators wannabies) who haven't recieved this mail, please contact me to add/change your e-mail address.

About the rework on the strings, ALL strings have been revised. You will (or should) no longer see strange unpredictable strings such as "   done" and " is " where the context of the sentence was unclear.

If you find any unclear sentence, PLEASE report it so we fix it. As you have seen, this rework has taken lots of time (ehm, weeks!) to be completed and three people (Xaignar, Citroklar and me). It is only for you to know the context of the sentences, to make your life easier at the time of translating. I hope we succeeded. But if we didn't, again, PLEASE report which sentences are unclear.

Have a nice time translating ;-) And read the e-mail you should recieve!

Greets

P.S.: We're looking forward for your updated translations!

Supersnail

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2005, 01:20:39 PM »

I have found a few strings I don't understand. These two:

- "%.2f%% done"
- "Main"

I've got some more questions:

- Is "Operative System" the same as an "Operating System"?
- Is "Average Connections (estimate): %f" the average numer of connections or the average speed of the connections? Same question for "Peak Connections (estimate): %i"
- Is "Total DL: %s" the total DL speed, the total number of downloads or the total downloads available? Same question for "Total UL: %s"
- In the translations is spoken of "Max Connection Limit", while all I could find in preferences is a "Max Connections Limit" (multiple connections)
- Does "Error: Backup part.met file is 0 size! Search http://forum.amule.org for .part.met recovery solutions" mean that someone should go here to search and type in ".part.met recovery solutions" (which gives no result) or should they just search for .part.met recovery solutions? (so do I need to translate ".part.met recovery solutions"?)

I've also found a typo: "Error: part.met nackups file is 0 size: %s ==> %s" should be "Error: part.met backups file is 0 size: %s ==> %s"

Xaignar

• Admin and Code Junky
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2005, 01:58:16 AM »

- "%.2f%% done"
It means "% done"

- "Main"
This is from the SearchDlg, and refers the the default category, the one that shows "All" per default.

- Is "Operative System" the same as an "Operating System"?
Yes, though the second form is to be preferred.

- Is "Average Connections (estimate): %f" the average numer of connections or the average speed of the connections? Same question for "Peak Connections (estimate): %i"
Yes. :P
It's the number of connections. The first refers an estimate of the current number of connections, the second refers to the largest spike in the number of connections.

- Is "Total DL: %s" the total DL speed, the total number of downloads or the total downloads available? Same question for "Total UL: %s"
It's the total amount downloaded (for instance 4GB).

- In the translations is spoken of "Max Connection Limit", while all I could find in preferences is a "Max Connections Limit" (multiple connections)
The second is the correct form. Though I'm not sure what you're question is here. ;)

- Does "Error: Backup part.met file is 0 size! Search http://forum.amule.org for .part.met recovery solutions" mean that someone should go here to search and type in ".part.met recovery solutions" (which gives no result) or should they just search for .part.met recovery solutions? (so do I need to translate ".part.met recovery solutions"?)
The second option, otherwise quotation-marks would have been place around the term.

I've also found a typo: "Error: part.met nackups file is 0 size: %s ==> %s" should be "Error: part.met backups file is 0 size: %s ==> %s"
Right, will fix.

Supersnail

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2005, 09:56:42 PM »

Originally posted by Xaignar
- "%.2f%% done"
It means "% done"

I assume this is the percentage of the file downloaded? And it's drawn on top of the progress bar?

Xaignar

• Admin and Code Junky
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2005, 10:19:12 PM »

Code: [Select]
$ grep "%.2f%% done" src/*
src/FileDetailDialog.cpp:       bufferS = wxString::Format(_("%.2f%% done"),m_file->GetPercentCompleted());