aMule Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We're back! (IN POG FORM)

Author Topic: random port numbers.  (Read 4334 times)

file-leach

random port numbers.
« on: October 30, 2005, 10:22:22 PM »

hi.

i just installed the latest release and found a problem.
well not exactly a problem, but a needed feature.

i usually run morph-mod and it has random-port numbers on each connection.

this is needed because some isp's (including mine) catch on to the fact that your running p2p after around 24 hours and start to screw with the bandwidth on the active ports.

with amule i need to keep changing port numbers every day to keep it running.
it would be a great enhancement to have random ports.

check morph-mod to see what i mean, they have the source but i dont know C or i'd try to patch it myself. :(

http://emulemorph.sourceforge.net/

thedude0001

• evil bugfinder ;)
Re: random port numbers.
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2005, 10:40:25 PM »

/me is waiting for the crowd of router / firewall users that check this because "it sounds like more security, but I don't know what it really does." and then wonder why they get a LowID and Kad firewalled...

But if this really is a problem (with the ISPS) it might be useful. Only we don't support changing ports without a restart as of now...
Das Schlimme auf dieser Welt ist
daß die Dummen so selbstsicher sind
und die Gescheiten so voller Zweifel.

Kry

• Ex-developer
  • Retired admin
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005, 12:02:24 AM »

I don't like this feature, for obvious network effects as people not being able to contact you again, servers indexing wrong port number, etc, etc,etc.

file-leach

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 01:50:42 AM »

it's an option, if you dont need it then you dont use it.

you may think that changing ports is bad, but let me tell you something.

it's no fun going to bed and then noticing in the morning that you have a low-id and a total bandwidth of 600bytes-per-second. :(

more and more isp's are learning these tricks and if your not a victim yet then i can tell you that you will be.

it's not if, but when. :(

Kry

• Ex-developer
  • Retired admin
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2005, 02:34:24 AM »

Change ISP. Sue your ISP. But why would network be harmed because oyu're ISP's unholy practices?

Let me get this straight: nothing that could potentially harm the network will be implemented. IMHO, oyur request falls on that bag.

lfroen

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2005, 08:15:40 AM »

catch on to the fact that your running p2p after around 24 hours and start to screw with the bandwidth on the active ports
I don't know where are you from and what your laws have to say about it, but in my country that would be illegal. Instead of messing the network (as Kry pointed out) - sue them, plain and fair. You have signed a contract, your ISP have license granted by the state - go to the court and enforce it.
Privacy laws protects you from question "what is it you sending" - you immidiate answer "that would be  none of your buisness, unless court rules otherwize".
Know your rights. Use them.

thedude0001

• evil bugfinder ;)
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2005, 02:25:48 PM »

Originally posted by lfroen
I don't know where are you from and what your laws have to say about it, but in my country that would be illegal. Instead of messing the network (as Kry pointed out) - sue them, plain and fair. You have signed a contract, your ISP have license granted by the state - go to the court and enforce it.

Talking about the situation in Germany that actually depends on your contract with the ISP. There are several ISPs here that do throttle P2P traffic, but they clearly state that in your contract. These are usually the cheapest ones that want to keep so called "power users" out. But if it's not in the contract this behaviour would be illegal. The only real choice with such an ISP would be to "vote with your feet" as a proverb goes here, meaning take your business (and money) elsewhere...

And I have to say that I misread your post a little. I thought you were talking about "changing the port every time you connect to a server", which would usually be after a 24h-disconnect.

file-leach

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2005, 05:09:34 PM »

maybe i didnt make things too clear.

i'm not asking for port-numbers to just change based on a timer,
i'm asking for numbers to change *if* there is a forced disconect.

that's what morph does, and i simply click "disconect" and then "conect" each day to keep things sweet.

i'm in the u.k. and all internet traffic other than cable goes through the same bastard carrier (BT).

the only thing you choose is what middleman sell's the service too you.

they all include the bogus line in the contract "the provider retains the right to make changes to the service or terms of the contract at any time"
:(

what it comes down to is they want to sell you something, but dont want you to use it.

if i pay for 2m downling 24/7 then i'm damned well going to get what i paid them for.

thedude0001

• evil bugfinder ;)
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2005, 05:25:25 PM »

Originally posted by file-leach
they all include the bogus line in the contract "the provider retains the right to make changes to the service or terms of the contract at any time"

That doesn't include "blocking traffic of services", it simply includes "changing the contract after informing you about these changes". They are still legally bound to their contract. Take a close look at it. I don't know if there's something like that in GB, but we have a "club" over here to help people that are being betrayed (a little hard word, but i don't know how to translate it bette) by companies. Something like a "Customer protection association", and they help you for free. Have a talk with them, but only after CAREFULLY reading your contract.

miceliux

• Approved Newbie
RE: random port numbers.
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2005, 03:48:56 PM »

The ISPs can shape your traffic by analyzing the protocol, not the port. You don't do anything changing the port.

lfroen

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2005, 05:13:33 PM »

The ISPs can shape your traffic by analyzing the protocol
Let me check again current form of goverment in Spain - that is democracy according to my records. In democratic country it is illegal to analyse someone traffic whether it is phone, mail, ip or telepathy. Your ISP would need permission from law enforcement authority for such action. Unless of cause you explicitly allowed it by signing appropriate contract or agreement.Know your rights !

They can shape all your traffic according to contract you signed and allocate bandwidth and priority as written in that contract. Blocking port, periodic disconnects, traffic filtering and other beasts - all illegal if done intentionaly and without your explicit permission.

miceliux

• Approved Newbie
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2005, 05:27:03 PM »

Your ISP would need permission from law enforcement authority for such action
I don't think so, it's different read the contents of your transmission that monitor it automatically and depending of the protocol (http, smtp, ssh, emule) shape it.

For example, if your mail server has an antivirus program, it must scan (read) your mail.

They can shape all your traffic according to contract you signed and allocate bandwidth and priority as written in that contract. Blocking port, periodic disconnects, traffic filtering and other beasts - all illegal if done intentionaly and without your explicit permission.

Most ISPs in Spain only guarantee you 10% of the bandwith contracted, and some, shape the P2P traffic or redirect the web browsing through a transparent proxy.  :(