aMule Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We're back! (IN POG FORM)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Guybrush's struggle to get aMule running on a Mips router  (Read 58529 times)

GuybrushThreepwood

Guybrush's struggle to get aMule running on a Mips router
« on: October 13, 2009, 03:07:14 PM »

Hello to everyone! :) I don't know if it's really a bug or if it's something related to my particular situation but I'm experiencing a very annoying problem with the latest aMule SVN versions.
Before describing the issue, I'd like to describe my situation:

1) I run the aMule daemon on a mips router and remotely control it by aMuleGUI
2) I've built many aMule versions (not only) with no issues at all and I've been using the same toolchain (let me know if you need to know the dependencies installed)
3) The last aMule version that I've built before this one is the SVN 9548 that's rock solid on my router
4) Today I've built the latest SVN 9838 just to see if it was something wrong with the SVN 9834 but it behaves exactly the same

Some days ago, I've decided to build a newer version and I've downloaded the SVN 9834 sourcecode. The compilation stage went fine and everything seems to work fine, sometimes for an hour, sometimes for some minutes only, sometimes for several hours but before or later I get many consecutive:

WARNING! Client UDP-Socket ... discarded packet due to errors (2) while sending.

errors (we're talking of dozens of them), aMule doesn't succeed to upload or download anything anymore and, after a while, the connection drops down and I need to reboot the router.
I repeat: I don't know if it's really a bug but I'm rather confident that it is because the older SVN 9548 works fine. The only other explanation could be that in the meantime something has been added that's too hard to handle on a router according to its limited resources.
I hope to receive some advices soon and I thank you all in advance.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 03:36:49 PM by Stu Redman »

GuybrushThreepwood

Re: SVN 9834: WARNING! Client UDP-Socket discarded packet
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 10:20:21 PM »

Hi and thanks for your reply. As said, I've taken into account the possibility of a resources shortcoming but, unless the later SVNs have introduced some very hard to handle features, how could you explain that the SVN 9548 works PERFECTLY under the SAME conditions? That's strange, isn't it? Apart from this, I've made a very fast and superficial research (I would deepen it as soon as possible) and this error seems quite widespread (though, as said, my research was very superficial and I don't know the different scenarios). When you can, please tell me what do you think of this...
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 10:24:25 PM by GuybrushThreepwood »

Stu Redman

• Administrator
  • Engines screaming
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 12:23:12 AM »

SVN versions 9353 - 9647 are totally fucked (upload is broken) and should not be used  :-[
How is your upload speed with the two versions in comparison?
Same configure options, especially the mmap option ? Same wxWidgets version?
The image of mother goddess, lying dormant in the eyes of the dead, the sheaf of the corn is broken, end the harvest, throw the dead on the pyre -- Iron Maiden, Isle of Avalon

GuybrushThreepwood

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 12:25:37 PM »

@Stu Redman

Hi and thanks for your reply. I've downloaded the SVN 9548 a long time ago when it was the current one and it works very well for me: I manage to get good download speeds (probably a little better than the ones achieved with the SVN 9834/38, nothing major though) and, what's the most important thing, it's very very stable (even after prolonged use) unlike the newer SVN 9834/38 that aren't usable because of the described issue.
I've used EXACTLY the same toolchain to build all the versions and it includes wxWidgets 2.8.10 that's the latest stable release. If you need to know the other dependencies that I've included in my toolchain, you could look here:

http://forum.amule.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=7263b2379436f7b195c7f3f79e4a3161&topic=16721.msg88778#msg88778

Tell me if you need to know something more. Have a good day! :)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 12:29:23 PM by GuybrushThreepwood »

GonoszTopi

• The current man in charge of most things.
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 05:13:45 PM »

Best would be if you could bisect when from it is unusable for you, using the public git repository. ~300 commits is way too much to check, looking for a bug we cannot reliably (or at all) reproduce.

"I would suspect the one experiencing the bug probably is more motivated to fix it than people who don't, so I suspect you're in trouble there. ;-)"
concordia cum veritate

Stu Redman

• Administrator
  • Engines screaming
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 10:02:30 PM »

Guybrush, did you pass the --enable-mmap option to configure? IIRC that was introduced after 9548 (it was probably always-on then). That's essential for your environment.
Great if 9548 is stable for you, but it makes you a leech.   8)
The image of mother goddess, lying dormant in the eyes of the dead, the sheaf of the corn is broken, end the harvest, throw the dead on the pyre -- Iron Maiden, Isle of Avalon

GuybrushThreepwood

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 11:41:46 PM »

@Stu Redman

Excuse me... Why should I be a leech? Is it because I've compiled an old development version when it was the current one like the SVN 9838 is now??? Honestly I don't understand...
By the way, I've not used the configure --enable-mmap switch: I didn't know anything about the need of using it. Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 11:47:04 PM by GuybrushThreepwood »

Stu Redman

• Administrator
  • Engines screaming
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 07:35:55 PM »

Because you don't upload, or upload bad stuff. Not intentionally of course. Until now when I told you that this old version is broken.
But with the --enable-mmap current SVN should work just as stable.  :)

GonoszTopi

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 08:34:19 PM »

But with the --enable-mmap current SVN should work just as stable.  :)
Also without. Should.
concordia cum veritate

Stu Redman

• Administrator
  • Engines screaming
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 09:03:32 PM »

Not on a mips router running out of memory.

GonoszTopi

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 09:11:45 PM »

If 9548 ran, 9838 should also.
concordia cum veritate

GuybrushThreepwood

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2009, 12:10:31 AM »

Because you don't upload, or upload bad stuff. Not intentionally of course. Until now when I told you that this old version is broken.
But with the --enable-mmap current SVN should work just as stable.  :)

I didn't know that. The upload speeds are very good and I've uploaded a lot of stuff... So was all that I've uploaded corrupted? It's a pity...
I would rebuild the SVN 9838 using the --enable-mmap switch and keep you updated about the results. By now, thank you! :)

If 9548 ran, 9838 should also.

According to what Stu Redman has said in one of the previous posts, the SVN 9548 could have that option enabled by default and this explains everything... I must remember to use that switch from now on.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 12:13:19 AM by GuybrushThreepwood »

GonoszTopi

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2009, 09:52:14 AM »

True. Having access to the source again I could check. Memory mapping code was introduced in r9377, configure option in r9563. In between it was used unconditionally.
concordia cum veritate

Stu Redman

• Administrator
  • Engines screaming
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2009, 09:40:34 PM »

So was all that I've uploaded corrupted?
Only uploads from finished files.  :-[

GuybrushThreepwood

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2009, 12:33:25 AM »

Bad news... :( I've rebuilt the aMule daemon using the --enable-mmap configure switch but I'm still getting the same error and I've almost completely understood what exactly happens.
After some hours of stable operation, I start to see hundreds (I'm not exagerating) of consecutive " WARNING! Client UDP-Socket discarded..." warnings in the logfile; after this, the swap partition that I use along with aMule (even with the older versions and not only with them with no issues at all so I'm certain that it's ok) crashes and I can't turn the swap off (when I use the swapoff command I always get an error and I can't succeed in turning it off) unless rebooting the router. If  I leave things unchanged, after a while the router crashes completely and I've to reboot it. There is definitively something too hard too handle for a simple router that might have been added in the newer aMule versions...
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 12:39:57 AM by GuybrushThreepwood »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9