aMule Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We're back! (IN POG FORM)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: an option called "Minimized To Tray Icon When Closed"  (Read 9398 times)

FreeToGo

an option called "Minimized To Tray Icon When Closed"
« on: September 15, 2009, 04:32:03 PM »

Is there any chance to add an option called "Minimized To Tray Icon When Closed" so that amule could understand that  even though I hit close button, I actually mean minimized rather than quit.
You can mock me. I can take it.

Vollstrecker

• Administrator
  • Unofficial Debian Packager
    • http://vollstreckernet.de
Re: an option called "Minimized To Tray Icon When Closed"
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 05:41:49 PM »

The function already exist. It's called "Minimize" and is the second one left of the close button.
Homefucking is killing prostitution

Kry

• Ex-developer
  • Retired admin
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 06:09:21 PM »

That's pretty much my take on it.

lfroen

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 06:47:59 PM »

The function already exist. It's called "Minimize" and is the second one left of the close button.
While technically you're right, this is not what this guy is talking about. Did you used, for example Skype? It can be minimized, in which case you see minimized icon on taskbar, or closed, when there's no icon on task bar, but there's one on tray.

There's lot of application behave this way, on Mac this is expected behavior.

Kry

• Ex-developer
  • Retired admin
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 07:58:30 PM »

Closed means closed.

We've had this conversation one fucking million times, people. Closed means closed.

If we consider making this change for Mac (by default, fuck options if they want their own behaviour) as for their own guidelines, then I might agree. Other platforms, no.

Stu Redman

• Administrator
  • Engines screaming
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 08:27:06 PM »

There's lot of application behave this way
Yeah, and I hate every single one of them. You have to "close" it, and then right click the tray icon, select "Close", answer a few confirmation dialogs (how can anybody want to close such a great app, hard to imagine, really) and then it's finally closed. Until reboot, when these apps usually restart so they are "ready at once for you". Fucking intrusive I call that.  >:(
The image of mother goddess, lying dormant in the eyes of the dead, the sheaf of the corn is broken, end the harvest, throw the dead on the pyre -- Iron Maiden, Isle of Avalon

lfroen

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 08:35:51 PM »

Closed means closed.
As you may see, some people distinguish between "minimized" and "minimized to tray".

We've had this conversation one fucking million times, people. Closed means closed.
I know.

If we consider making this change for Mac <> as for their own guidelines, then I might agree
Just used Mac as example.

Yeah, and I hate every single one of them
Some people love it, some hate it, but this behavior is not uncommon, that's my point.

Kry

• Ex-developer
  • Retired admin
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 08:41:48 PM »

It's not uncommon to crash or have bugs either, but that won't convince me to have more of those.

Or in a less radical example, it's not uncommon to dumb down interfaces to the point of hurting usability, but that won't convince me it's a good idea.

Or while we're at it, it's not uncommon to try and accommodate everyone's little UI preferences while annoying the hell out of other users, but that won't convince me it's a good idea.

lfroen

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 09:58:47 PM »

Or in a less radical example, it's not uncommon to dumb down interfaces to the point of hurting usability, but that won't convince me it's a good idea.
Well, that's too bad. Numerous studies show, that less choices user met, they (users) are happier to use the program/device/system. You should read some of Joel Spolsky's essays.

it's not uncommon to try and accommodate everyone's little UI preferences while annoying the hell out of other users,
Yea,  but this generally come when previous point is not considered, see Microsoft Office for real world example.

Stu Redman

• Administrator
  • Engines screaming
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 10:11:11 PM »

Numerous studies show, that less choices user met, they (users) are happier to use the program/device/system.

Like this TV remote control, huh? The Macintosh among the remote controls.  ;)

The image of mother goddess, lying dormant in the eyes of the dead, the sheaf of the corn is broken, end the harvest, throw the dead on the pyre -- Iron Maiden, Isle of Avalon

Kry

• Ex-developer
  • Retired admin
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 10:34:21 PM »

I like this one better.

On the subject of choices, lfroen, I'm all for the more the merrier, as long as defaults are coherent and options are well hidden in a place called "PREFERENCES".

wuischke

• Developer
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2009, 10:44:09 PM »

Is it possible with wx to add a fourth icon to the top of the window next to minimize, maximize and close?

Apart from that: I believe there's an option "Minimize to tray" in the preferences. It's not exactly the same (you click on the minimize button instead of the close button), but a reasonable compromise. I always activated this function when using aMule.

BTW: I actually find the Mac OS X interface rather distracting and with too many options. But then my desktop consists of a black screen (no panel or menus) and keyboard short cuts for full screen applications and terminals. And I'm as old fashioned as to have an actual wall clock for time keeping and a mobile phone which does nothing except calling and sms.

GonoszTopi

• The current man in charge of most things.
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2009, 10:54:53 PM »

Is it possible with wx to add a fourth icon to the top of the window next to minimize, maximize and close?

Now that's something even I would be against of, if it was possible (I strongly hope it isn't).
concordia cum veritate

Kry

• Ex-developer
  • Retired admin
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2009, 11:36:57 PM »

And I'm as old fashioned as to have an actual wall clock for time keeping and a mobile phone which does nothing except calling and sms.

I believed you up to that point.

FreeToGo

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2009, 05:00:55 AM »

Actually, I want something like this instead.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2110

Also, my understanding in the meaning of  "close" is very similar to that of "lfroen". No matter it is under M$ or Mac or Linux ,  to me "Close" means  "Minimize to tray on close" while "Minimize" means "Minimize to the taskbar".  Admittedly, different people spell the same word with  different meaning. It could be due to  generation gap, cultural difference, geographical difference  or whatsoever reasons.

Irrespective of what the literal meaning of "close" should mean,  the default meaning of "Close" in amule is obviously different from skype, deluge, transmissionBT and etc. What I am suggesting  is that is there any chance that amule could have an option in "preference" menu so that the meaning of "Close" could be adjusted in a way  to be more in line with  what individual users themselves are used to think.
You can mock me. I can take it.
Pages: [1] 2