aMule Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We're back! (IN POG FORM)

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Incoming and Temp under Windows Vista in windows version of aMule  (Read 11235 times)

wuischke

• Developer
Re: Incoming and Temp under Windows Vista in windows version of aMule
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2007, 10:42:08 AM »

And there's no way to change permissions? There was with Windows 2000 and I think XP as well, so there should be with Vista, too.

aMule 2.2.0 contains a feature to use a local config directory (i.e. it can be made self-contained; all you have to do is to create a "config" folder with the file "amule.conf" inside in the amule.exe directory), this would solve it.

tired

• Approved Newbie
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2007, 10:58:45 AM »

Hello
Exactly what i'm trying to say i can change it in options, it tells me to restart amule so i'm doing this and what i get ? FATAL ERROR, even if i don't change any settings only open amule and close it i can't open it again have to delete both folders to open it. I know that works under xp because i used it but under vista don't want some error maybe you know some of your friend who use vista and could see what's going on ?

Is there 2.2.0 version ? because i have 2.1.3.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 11:02:10 AM by tired »

wuischke

• Developer
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2007, 01:21:53 PM »

Is there 2.2.0 version?
Not yet, sorry, I wrote this as if it was already released.

OK, I think we are misunderstaning each other. I want you to right-click the folder in Windows Explorer and check the permissions. You might have to activate some advanced options, but you can adjust the permissions there as well.

I know a couple of people who use Vista, but they know rather little about computers. Actually I have two (legal) licenses of Vista Business, but a) my PC is not very fast (1.6GHz C2D, 1GB) and Vista is horribly slow on it and b) I have big problems using the user interface, which confuses me.

tired

• Approved Newbie
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2007, 02:15:01 PM »

I understand about what you thought yes i gave permission for all doesn't help too... If you can please tell your friend to check maybe he will know how to fix this fatal error..

wuischke

• Developer
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2007, 03:22:22 PM »

It's a she...and her computer knowledge consists of the power switch, chatting and the internet. ;)

But I've uploaded you a developmental version of aMule 2.2.0. It will most probably crash once you open the preferences - if it starts at all, haven't tested it. But it would be interesting to see if there's the same error message when you start it twice.
If it produces the same error, please create a folder called "config" and inside this folder a file "amule.conf" (can be empty) in the directory, where amule.exe resides and report back whether it will still give the error.
Oh, and please tell me which 4-digit R (or Rev.)-number it says in the title bar, it should be something like r7684.

http://files-upload.com/files/658800/amule.zip

tired

• Approved Newbie
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2007, 03:31:12 PM »

Can't open because of missing the zlib1.dll file and also there isn't unicows.dll.

I took these files from the 2.1.3 version and i opened this cvs but i click preferences and error closet amule want to open next time and what i see the same FATAL ERROR :( i would like you to correct this in some way.

I did that what you said about making folder config in the same folder where is amule.exe i did this put inside of config folder this file amule.conf and the error changed directory:

FATAL ERROR

Permission on the amule configuration directory too strick!
amule cannot  proceed.To fix this, you must set read/write/exec permission for the folder D:\amule\config

But permission is ok so what's going on :(
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 03:44:24 PM by tired »

wuischke

• Developer
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2007, 03:42:31 PM »

And I would like you to do the test I asked you for.

Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the folder where amule.exe is (somewhere outside of c:\program files\)
Then create a folder called "config". Open this folder and create a file "amule.conf". Then try to start aMule and see if there's still the error message.

And please tell me the revision number it says in the title, will you?

Edit: OK, you already did it. I'll make lunch now and have another look at the code afterwards.

tired

• Approved Newbie
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2007, 03:46:08 PM »

But can't find that revision number sorry if we can sometimes missunderstand because i don't speak english normally.

tired

• Approved Newbie
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2007, 07:56:27 PM »

Sorry for writing another post but i just wanted to ask about this changes in code you wanted to do. How about them is there some progress. Don't take it as some rushing but you know everyone can forgot.

wuischke

• Developer
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2007, 08:39:33 PM »

Some more work for you. I wrote a couple of lines to test the result of the wxAccess-call.

It's a console-program, so copy it somewhere, start a console and execute the test.exe binary.

The output should be similar to the following:
Code: [Select]
$ ./test
/home/user/devel/mingw
wxAccess R_OK: 0
wxAccess W_OK: 0
wxAccess X_OK: 0
A '0' means "OK", a '-1' means failed.

I want you to find out the results for the directories aMule claims they have too strict permissions.

You can call it with a path as parameter as well, in my case I use the subdirectory "testdir" with the following permissions: (read, no write, execute)
$ ./test testdir
testdir
wxAccess W_OK: -1
wxAccess X_OK: 0
and with changed permissions (read, no write, no execute)
$ ./test testdir
testdir
wxAccess W_OK: -1
wxAccess X_OK: -1

So, you should try to execute
test.exe C:/users/user/appdata/roaming/amule and see what it outputs.

tired

• Approved Newbie
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2007, 09:28:19 PM »

How to execute test.exe because  i don't understand that ? i'm not so good in this. It also wanted a file mingwm10.dll. If i press 2 times on test.exe nothing happend..
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 09:31:33 PM by tired »

wuischke

• Developer
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2007, 09:36:07 PM »

In the ancient days of computing, there was something called MS-DOS, a successor of your operating system Windows Vista. DOS is long dead gone on today's computers, but you still have something like a MS-DOS command prompt installed. I don't know how it is called on Vista, but by opening the execute dialog and executing "cmd", it should appear. Now you have to change the working directory to the directory containing test.exe and type "test.exe" to execute it or call test.exe by using the full path (e.g. C:\temp\test.exe) and you'll get above output in the console window. To solve the mingw-problem either copy the dll-file in the same folder as test.exe or to system32 in your windows directory.

tired

• Approved Newbie
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2007, 09:41:02 PM »

I wrote cmd and a console appeard i copy the folder and named it test and inside i have 3 files (test.exe, test.cpp, mingwm10.dll) on the console which apeard write something like this c:\users\tired> and now i wrote the directory of the folder with test.exe and still nothing happening :(

i wrote c:\users\tired\test\test.exe

Stu Redman

• Administrator
  • Engines screaming
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2007, 11:18:07 PM »

@wuischke: same problem here with Vista. I have run the test.exe on the console  (with the mingwm10.dll from the amule.zip), but it prints just a blank line.
The 2.2.0 test version fails equally, complaining about the permissions in the local config subdirectory, so this approach does not help at all.

What is happening on Vista:
aMule complains about too strict permissions on c:\users\myname\AppData\Roaming\aMule
This directory is flagged as "read only". Whyever. Removing the read only flag (in explorer or command line) fails, the flag is restored to read only at once. It seems Vista has a more complex permission system on NTFS drives. The read only attribute for folders appears to be treated as a legacy. It is always active on all folders and can't be reset.  ::) This applies even for FAT32 volumes.  ::) ::) Yeah, I know, that's stupid.

However, I can easily create, modify, delete files in this directory. aMule creates 18 files and a temp folder nicely on first run and only fails on second run checking the permission. So my guess is, if you simply remove the permission check everything should work.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 11:30:23 PM by sturedman »
The image of mother goddess, lying dormant in the eyes of the dead, the sheaf of the corn is broken, end the harvest, throw the dead on the pyre -- Iron Maiden, Isle of Avalon

wuischke

• Developer
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2007, 12:17:52 AM »

OK, Kry is currently doing a lot of work regarding Windows, so I'll let him decide about disabling the check for Windows.

Mh...but if you could try to compile my test program with Visual Studio (the express is free, I believe) and get me the output, then I
could try to solve this as well, but you'll have to compile wxMSW first.
Also, please check it with an argument, e.g. "test.exe C:\temp\". Or I'll give you a short Python program doing the same, if I don't forget about it tomorrow...
Pages: 1 [2] 3