aMule Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We're back! (IN POG FORM)

Author Topic: Why is aMule so stable?  (Read 4515 times)

abhay

Why is aMule so stable?
« on: May 12, 2006, 09:36:35 AM »

Hello Everyone,

Yes you read it right. I am asking why aMule 2.1.1 is so stable on my Gentoo 2006.0?
I have been trying to use aMule on various Linux Distros since last 1 1/2 years and I have always been frustrated with it. It was never usable and highly unstable. Crashed at simple connections to server or even on start-up. I just kept it on my system, hoping that it will work some day and that *some day* has arrived!!!

aMule 2.1.1 is extremely stable (*touch wood*) and I need to know that what makes it so stable. Since I am using Gentoo, I update regularly but I don't want to update something that can make aMule unstable again. Please tell me what should I avoid? I don't wanna lose this excellent application again :(

Regards,
Abhay

stefanero

• Some Support
  • Developer
Re: Why is aMule so stable?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 10:20:21 AM »

well in all those years there has been a lot of development towards making the mule more stable...so using lates version is always recomended

also wxGTK has made a couple big steps towards stability with 2.6.3,

not all crashes you had with mule were our mistake, also wxWidgets could get the blame for some of them
In its default setup, Windows XP on the Internet amounts to a car
parked in a bad part of town, with the doors unlocked, the key in
the ignition and a Post-It note on the dashboard saying, "Please
don't steal this."

phoenix

• Evil respawning bird from aMule Dev Team
  • Developer
  • The last shadow you'll ever see
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 03:13:41 PM »

abhay,

In my opinion, what makes it stable is the care that the distro guys have taken when compiling aMule and mainly, wxWidgets. Traditionally, all distributions make a pretty mess when compiling wxWidgets. Gentoo is one of the exceptions to that rule. That is why we insist for people to compile both aMule and wxWidgets themselves. But you are right, Gentoo is the exception that justifies the rule :)

Cheers!

abhay

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 11:16:42 AM »

Thanks for the replies. I will keep that in mind when a next update for wxGTK comes in :)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 11:17:06 AM by abhay »