aMule Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We're back! (IN POG FORM)

Author Topic: Spam from amule.org?  (Read 5420 times)

jewitt

Spam from amule.org?
« on: October 12, 2007, 04:19:03 PM »

Hi all,

I used sneakemail.com to generate a unique email address when I registered for the amule.org forums. Any emails sent to this address is tagged with a label like amazon.com or cnn.com.

For the first time  (at least that I've noticed), I received a Nigerian 409 spam coming from the email address that I generated for amule.org.

I never reuse an email address that I generated for one site on another (since that would defeat the purpose of this service).

Any idea what's going on?

J

P.S. I know this probably isn't going to be a popular post and I'm probably going to get unhappy people flaming me, accusing me of incompetence, stupidity, virginity, etc.

Vollstrecker

• Administrator
  • Unofficial Debian Packager
    • http://vollstreckernet.de
Re: Spam from amule.org?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 04:25:25 PM »

Look at the left side of your post. There you can find your address, and if you can, a spider of a spammer can, too. And some spambots just generate random addresses, and sometimes they have luck and hit your one.
Homefucking is killing prostitution

Kry

• Ex-developer
  • Retired admin
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 05:06:39 PM »

Also you're a virgin.

wuischke

• Developer
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 05:46:18 PM »

It's really a shame. Vollstrecker was disgustingly nice and helpful without even insulting you at all! Well, fortunately Kry was quick enough to ensure proper standards in our forums, offending users and delaying releases for fun.

Seriously: I know it's the internet and we've got a couple of weirdos visiting us from time to time as well, but I think that generally the aMule forums are a pretty polite place, don't you think?

The explanation for your spam was already given, disable the public display of your email address if you want to avoid spam.

Kry

• Ex-developer
  • Retired admin
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 06:30:12 PM »

But... but he was the one mentioning it...

jewitt

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 08:01:33 PM »

I made the assumption that a spammer would not bother registering for an account and then, troll for addresses.

I noticed that if you are *not* logged in, you cannot view my email address. Only when you log in, can you view my email address.

If this was the case, apologies all around and thank you all for your help. Cheers.

P.S. The type of email address that sneakemail.com generates is like zhs89wk03. It's my gut feeling but I don't think spambots will guess something like that. But like this scenario showed, I am wrong a lot of times, =).