aMule Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We're back! (IN POG FORM)

Author Topic: aMule closed unexpectedly: worm-like activity?  (Read 3844 times)

lorey

• Approved Newbie
aMule closed unexpectedly: worm-like activity?
« on: April 22, 2009, 12:01:01 PM »

Yesterday, I woke up and found that computer could not connect to the internet via Firefox. I also noticed that BOINC and aMule 2.2.4 were no longer running. These 2 programs are run with a user name different to my own. (I login into my computer with username "lorey" but run these 2 programs using "usertwo". No other programs are run with the "usertwo" username. I have a built-in firewall in my cable router with ALL ports closed-stealthed except the aMule ports. I only run KAD, not edonkey. I don't run any anti-virus software. I run an up-to-date default-install Debian testing GNOME amd64 installation. The only programs that connect to the internet are: aMule, FireFox, Synaptic and BOINC when it sends back crunched data.

I rebooted the computer and everything worked fine. A few hours later, the same exact situation happened again. So, I shut down my router for half an hour to get a new IP address, rebooted the computer and everything was OK.

This same thing happened to me a couple of years ago in Windows XP using eMule. I no longer use Windows. At that time a very similar thing happened. eMule, McAfee virusscan, zonealarm were killed and the internet connection was disabled. The situation was not solved after a reboot and I had to resintall Windows.

I found this link while searching on the net. It seems there are people that sabotage the KAD network. That thread is from 2006. (It seems, nobody has done anything about it.)
http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-172693.html

I realize that my post provides no detailed info. If anybody could tell me what kind of information is needed and where to find it in my computer, I would gladly post it.

GonoszTopi

• The current man in charge of most things.
  • Administrator
Re: aMule closed unexpectedly: worm-like activity?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 03:11:27 PM »

It seems there are people that sabotage the KAD network. That thread is from 2006. (It seems, nobody has done anything about it.)
You're jumping to conclusions.
concordia cum veritate

Kry

• Ex-developer
  • Retired admin
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 07:24:57 PM »

And most probably your router sucks monkey balls.

Also, about the windows situation, it's known that zonealarm causes huge problems with p2p applications.

Also you're jumping to conclusions. Correlation doesn't mean causation.

lorey

• Approved Newbie
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 11:13:03 AM »

And most probably your router sucks monkey balls.

Its a Speedtouch 530, which never has caused any sort of problems in the 3 years I have used it, except in these 2 situations.

Also, about the windows situation, it's known that zonealarm causes huge problems with p2p applications.

Ok, but in Debian I don't have a software firewall at all; I use the router's built-in one. Plus, in Windows, Zonealarm worked ok with eMule except in the situation I described.

Also you're jumping to conclusions. Correlation doesn't mean causation.

True, but its kinda weird that the situation happened on both platforms when eMule/aMule was on. Plus, how can you explain that all the programs (BOINC and aMule) that were running under the username "usertwo" were killed and the rest of the running programs that were under other usernames  were not? (The worm or whatever was only able to affect the programs running under aMule's user.) Plus, the situation was solved only when I changed IP address, which implies some sort of an attack to that IP address.

Kry

• Ex-developer
  • Retired admin
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 03:25:57 PM »

Check your kernel logs. Chances are both aMule and BOINC were killed by an OOM event. Nothing special.

lorey

• Approved Newbie
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 04:23:19 PM »

I had rsyslog disabled in order to slightly increase performance. Now I realize how dumb that was.

I don't think it was an Out-of-Memory event since I've never seen the total used memory go more than 800MB and I have 2GB installed.