aMule Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We're back! (IN POG FORM)

Author Topic: Fun with Lousy Lynx  (Read 8802 times)

Stu Redman

• Administrator
  • Engines screaming
Fun with Lousy Lynx
« on: March 21, 2010, 02:31:13 PM »

Well, I tried to upgrade my Ubuntu Karmic to Lucid beta (which I will call "Lousy" from now on) today. Ok, I expected this to take a while. After returning it had opened a Grub configure dialog asking for harddisks where it should be installed, nothing preselected  (hello ? why not install it where it had been ?). I selected /dev/sda1 and was rewarded with " the symbol 'grub_puts_' not found" after reboot. Duh.
I got the Lousy disc and booted from it (to a shell prompt, duh me to expect more). With some googling I managed to reinstall grub (to sda instead of sda1). It reported a zillion fopen errors and then said "everything ok" or something.
After reboot I got some more error messages, then a boot screen "Ubuntu 10.04" with 4 blinking dots below. Still blinking, as I've finished typing this nothing more (well, it activated a screensaver meanwhile).

Man, am I delighted. I expect some quirks from a beta, but not a total loss. I will mow down the (virtual) disk image now and try to reinstall Lousy from scratch. See if that works.

Why am I typing this? As a warning for those who considered trying the beta, and as good laugh for the others.
The image of mother goddess, lying dormant in the eyes of the dead, the sheaf of the corn is broken, end the harvest, throw the dead on the pyre -- Iron Maiden, Isle of Avalon

Vollstrecker

• Administrator
  • Unofficial Debian Packager
    • http://vollstreckernet.de
Re: Fun with Lousy Lynx
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 07:25:46 PM »

Well, Debuian testing can be considered beta, too. I spent the last 2 days now with getting the system running again, after I ran fsck on my ext3 fs, which moved ~300 blocks to lost and found. When booting, it told me the disk is readonly. With init=/bin/bash, mount told me rw, but running any command gave me again readonly. With KNOPPIX, some dpkg and awk magic, I just have to recreate the symlinks for lilo, install the kernel-packages and the nvidia module. I don't know what exactly happened, but I want to warn anyone, that a disk that runs flawlessly for 1,5 years now, should be fsck'ed just for fun.
Homefucking is killing prostitution

Stu Redman

• Administrator
  • Engines screaming
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 11:09:39 PM »

After upgrading VirtualBox to 3.1.6 (and installing 300+ MB of updates) I got it finally running.

Lousy feature of the day: I had to dig in the gnome registry editor (gconf-editor /apps/metacity/general/button_layout) to move the window buttons back to the right where they belong.  ::)
The image of mother goddess, lying dormant in the eyes of the dead, the sheaf of the corn is broken, end the harvest, throw the dead on the pyre -- Iron Maiden, Isle of Avalon

Vollstrecker

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 12:06:17 AM »

Nice, I just created a virtual device for alsa, because I can't use amarok with output over libxine and xine in parallell, so created a dmix enabled virtual device that just forwards it to the real alsa-device. Beside the fact, that this is a base functionality and neither xine nor pulseaudio nor jackd nor gstreamer can make use of this if not explicitely activated (like alsaplay -d:dmix), the initscript just inserts the right modules and sets some basic config options on the devices but isn't able to redo so or unset them. So long story short: I had to reboot.

Stu Redman

• Administrator
  • Engines screaming
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 01:00:38 AM »

You mean, we all have our little problems and I shouldn't bother you with mine...  ;)

Vollstrecker

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 10:00:13 AM »

No, thought you're saerching the fuckup of the day. And the last two weeks I had almost everyday such an experience. And it's always good to see that you're not the only one who finds problems noone complained already about. I, for myself, am very happy to be not the only one that has everyday problems that look simple, everybody thinks that should work out of the box and makes me googling and testing for days.

GonoszTopi

• The current man in charge of most things.
  • Administrator
concordia cum veritate

Stu Redman

• Administrator
  • Engines screaming
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 05:14:36 PM »

More fun with it.  >:(
Installed Kubuntu Lousy today. Runs through, reboots, login screen. I log in, flicker, flicker, login screen again. I log in in console, get 250MB updates, reboot, same. Build Vbox guest additions in console, reboot. Kubuntu screen, Window enlarges, flicker, flicker, shrinks again, black window. Console login still works, but that's not entirely satisfying.

I'm suspecting the Oracle guys who own VirtualBox now have fucked up. Maybe I'll take another look at VMWare.

^marcell^

• Developer
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 10:02:21 AM »

Sounds a bit as if your X11 configuration is faulty. But in such a case you shouldn't even get to the login screen, so I am not sure about it. Perhaps you could try "xorg -configure" and set a different resolution/bitrate/frequency.

Stu Redman

• Administrator
  • Engines screaming
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 09:05:50 PM »

Switched to VMWare, and that works. As long as you don't put the host computer into standby which kills the network.  >:(

GonoszTopi

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 09:34:36 PM »

I use QEMU, but that's not for Windows.
concordia cum veritate

^marcell^

• Developer
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2010, 07:35:55 AM »

You might try VirtualBox, which is available for Windows too.

GonoszTopi

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2010, 08:59:43 AM »

Marcell, he's been using VirtualBox until now. Read more carefully ;)
concordia cum veritate