aMule Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We're back! (IN POG FORM)

Author Topic: RSS feed and Categories  (Read 6903 times)

fiction_edge

RSS feed and Categories
« on: July 11, 2011, 04:22:33 PM »

I used to have a windows version for emule network (can't remember the name) that saved me alot of time with this feature:
* auto add to the categories based on keywords of the link. For instance if the link had the keyword "house.md" it would add auitomatically to the "Dr.House" category that I had.

Combined with the feature described above, I had a RSS feed reader that used to fetch a boads news and automatically launch ed2k link. What if amule could fecth from inside a RSS feed all the ed2k links and had it to the download queue?

This would be awesome

Thanx for your time and keep on the great work. This is the definitely the best emule client for linux :)

btkaos

• Global Moderator
  • Kaos is infinite!
Re: RSS feed and Categories
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 05:03:10 PM »

IWhat if amule could fecth from inside a RSS feed all the ed2k links and had it to the download queue?
IMHO that will add lots of unwanted complexity to amule.

However I guess it is pretty easy to write a script (python, perl, ...) which fetchs the RSS and calls the command line client.

btkaos

• Global Moderator
  • Kaos is infinite!
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 05:04:01 PM »

However I guess it is pretty easy to write a script (python, perl, ...) which fetchs the RSS and calls the command line client.
Indeed, if someone writes it, it should be no problem to ship within amule's source tarball.

Stu Redman

• Administrator
  • Engines screaming
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 10:45:14 PM »

Shipping is the easy part. Documenting it so anybody can use it (or even find it) is quite harder...
Features like that are usually useful for a single person and nobody else I'm afraid.
The image of mother goddess, lying dormant in the eyes of the dead, the sheaf of the corn is broken, end the harvest, throw the dead on the pyre -- Iron Maiden, Isle of Avalon

btkaos

• Global Moderator
  • Kaos is infinite!
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 01:58:25 AM »

Features like that are usually useful for a single person and nobody else I'm afraid.
Obviously such a hack should belong in the "examples" doc directory and be just a reference for other people wanting to write similar hacks. No harm shipping it, I've found such hacks living in the "examples" directory to be useful for me in past.

Stu Redman

• Administrator
  • Engines screaming
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 08:39:29 PM »

What "examples doc directory" ?
If someone provides such a script and someone trusted (like a senior member) confirms it does something useful I see no problem adding it.
The image of mother goddess, lying dormant in the eyes of the dead, the sheaf of the corn is broken, end the harvest, throw the dead on the pyre -- Iron Maiden, Isle of Avalon

btkaos

• Global Moderator
  • Kaos is infinite!
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 01:44:11 AM »

A good portion of the debian packages include such scripts in the /usr/share/$package/doc/examples directory. Sometimes it is called /usr/share/$package/doc/contrib.

btkaos

• Global Moderator
  • Kaos is infinite!
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 01:46:25 AM »

A good portion of the debian packages include such scripts in the /usr/share/$package/doc/examples directory. Sometimes it is called /usr/share/$package/doc/contrib.
Sorry the right route is /usr/share/doc/$package/examples.

Code: [Select]
btkaos@btkaos:~$ ls -ld /usr/share/doc/*/examples | wc -l
btkaos@btkaos:~$ ls -ld /usr/share/doc/*/contrib | wc -l

fiction_edge

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 09:22:06 AM »

I don't believe  I would be the only user, since the forum I'm talking about has a Huge number of users (and it's free), many of them using amule. Most of them might just not know of this possibility, if they knew I'm sure they'll use it  ;)
Just imagine automatically had and download new files without  a single click and all organized in their folders!

Stu Redman

• Administrator
  • Engines screaming
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 10:14:42 PM »

Hm. I was looking in our source tree of course. Now where would I find the file there? (I'm quite ignorant of the fine arts of Linux installations as you can see.  :-[ )

btkaos

• Global Moderator
  • Kaos is infinite!
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 01:53:42 PM »

Hm. I was looking in our source tree of course. Now where would I find the file there? (I'm quite ignorant of the fine arts of Linux installations as you can see.  :-[ )
Maybe creating a contrib/ ??

GonoszTopi

• The current man in charge of most things.
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 11:38:43 PM »

contrib/ used to hold programs/scripts/etc contributed by third-party developers. So if anyone does contribute such a script/program/etc I'll happily create that directory and place it there.

examples/, on the other hand, holds programs/scripts made by the original developers to teach others how certain tasks can be resolved.

And we also have src/utils/scripts...

Indeed, if someone writes it, it should be no problem to ship within amule's source tarball.
concordia cum veritate