aMule Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We're back! (IN POG FORM)

Author Topic: Fun with Obnoxious Ozelot  (Read 8611 times)

Stu Redman

• Administrator
  • Engines screaming
Fun with Obnoxious Ozelot
« on: September 03, 2011, 11:03:59 PM »

Spent yesterday evening playing with Ubuntu 11.10 Beta. This time NOT on my running 11.04 installation though, just a fresh install. Even I can learn a lesson.
Other than Lousy Lynx it installed flawlessly at least.
Fun started when I tried to install VMWare tools (which I need for remote folders, which I need to get my sources on the machine). Didn't compile. Not a single one of the extensions. Duh VMware. Never get their tools up to date with current kernels. The missing header for the now missing Big Kernel Lock appears to be the problem.
Installed "open-vmware-tools". Installs fine. Now what? Now nothing. Nobody tells you what files were installed and what to do with them. No avail.
Googled some more. Someone has made a patch. VMWare Tools compile. But - still no remote folders.  :(

The real WTF is the new UI. (10.4 excluded VMWare users from it, now it has caught up with us at last.) Hey, I got fat buttons to open Firefox or Open Office. And if I want to do something else? Back to Terminal you go. Start Menu? Installed Programs ? Synaptic ? Nothing. Even a simple shutdown now requires a console command. But it looks a bit like an IPhone. Am I delighted. And did I mention the new Software Center is crap and creates "has crashed" windows all the time?

So - no test if aMule compiles or works with it for now. Sorry. Maybe I'll take another look at Fedora. AFTER there are new VMWare Tools (same Kernel I bet). I remember Virtual Box was better with it's tools, but that was before it was bought up by Oracle, and it was soo daammnneedd sssllloooowwwww....
The image of mother goddess, lying dormant in the eyes of the dead, the sheaf of the corn is broken, end the harvest, throw the dead on the pyre -- Iron Maiden, Isle of Avalon

btkaos

• Global Moderator
  • Kaos is infinite!
Re: Fun with Obnoxious Ozelot
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 02:32:24 AM »

No doubt Ubuntu is heading in wrong way, at least we have Debian.

However in 11.04, you may avoid that abomination before login, by selecting "classic desktop" or something like that. This should give you a sane environment.

By the way Windows users get ready :)

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/11/08/29/2037223/Microsoft-Ribbonizes-Windows-8-File-Manager

Stu Redman

• Administrator
  • Engines screaming
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 06:14:32 PM »

Installed vmWare player 4.0 and updated Obnoxious (just 350MB, lol). Now things are looking better.
wx is still at 2.8.11. DUH.
The image of mother goddess, lying dormant in the eyes of the dead, the sheaf of the corn is broken, end the harvest, throw the dead on the pyre -- Iron Maiden, Isle of Avalon

Stu Redman

• Administrator
  • Engines screaming
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 12:38:39 PM »

Obnoxious feature of the day:
I checked the "log me in automatically" on install, so it boots right into my desktop without prompting for a password. But, after ten minutes it locks the screen and does prompt for a password. That's what happens if one team develops the login, another team the screen safer and nobody does a thing called "system integration".
At least I could get to the settings right-clicking on the desktop, "change background". Password prompt can be disabled. Screensafer can NOT be disabled. And there is no such thing as "ok" or "cancel" in the dialog. Too complicated for the smartphone generation.

Stu Redman

• Administrator
  • Engines screaming
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 09:34:43 PM »

At least aMule works fine in Obnoxious. Only the icon looks shitty in the new Dash.

Stu Redman

• Administrator
  • Engines screaming
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 02:52:58 PM »

Obnoxious feature of the day:
We all know Linux devs are short sighted and too vain to wear glasses. A single look at a Linux desktop next to a Windows desktop confirms this (fonts are about twice as big).
Now someone discovered the "details" view in the update manager which shows the console where the update scripts are running. And changed the font from the 8pt or so it had before to beautiful 14 or whatever. And adjusted the overall window layout. Anyway, the "details" view now shows a single black line with a cursor.  ::)
Same for the "details" view of the "Package operation failed" window. This one shows 1 1/2 lines but can NOT be resized to show more. Verrry useful.

gagar

• Approved Newbie
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 10:47:02 PM »

At least aMule works fine in Obnoxious. Only the icon looks shitty in the new Dash.
You make me reflect about the difference between courage and masochism. Really, given the clusterfuck that GNOME 3 is I'm just not going to use it, regardless of the shell (Unity or whatever).

That said, would it be possible to make vectorized versions from current icons so that they don't full of big pixels? I attached the result of a quick and dirty conversion.

Stu Redman

• Administrator
  • Engines screaming
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 11:06:07 PM »

The existing highest bitmap resolution of the icon would be fine. Problem appears to be that it uses a low resolution and magnifies it instead of using the high res.  :(

Stu Redman

• Administrator
  • Engines screaming
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2011, 09:35:55 PM »

Anyway, the "details" view now shows a single black line with a cursor.  ::)
Hey, they fixed it for the release! (By removing the details view altogether...)
And I didn't hope they'd get their thumb out of their behind and update wx to 2.8.12. So I'm not disappointed now. Only annoyed.  >:(