aMule Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We're back! (IN POG FORM)

Author Topic: Which version of wxGTK  (Read 3681 times)

OldFrog

Which version of wxGTK
« on: November 18, 2003, 10:33:13 PM »

I know it may sound stupid, but better look stupid once than all the rest of my life :-D

I use wxGTK-2.4.1 for all my *Mule since July, and beside the increasing memory eating in the GUI, I didn't notice (on a my daily use) major issues.

Is using 2.4.2 relevant ? Or should I stay with my old stuff.

I must say I compiled wxGTK-2.4.1 as RPM, as I do too with daily CVS versions of aMule, all with checkinstall (So not very accurate about dependencies, but I have not that much time and I'm not really a linux geek). These are used by a dozen people running Mdk 9.1 (Btw, for now, the most efficient mule for me is amule-CVS from nov 9th).

Thanks a lot in advance for the answer, and a big double-size congratz for this true teamwork (If you see what I mean ;-) )
Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes (Edsger W. Dijkstra)

Re: Which version of wxGTK
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2003, 09:42:59 PM »

Hi,

Regarding the use of aMule (or xmule) it seems that the important point is to have wxwindows linked to GTK1.

Until yesterday I was using Wxgtk 2.4.2 (From Mandrake RPM, version 9.2)
aMule was eating a lot (all) my ressources after a few hours and almost never runned more than 24 four hours.

Yesterday I changed for the Wxgtk 2.4.1 RPM's available on sourceforce in aMule download files. They are linked to GTK1 instead of GTK2.

After 24 hours of use I can say it's much better. Used memory is about 100 MB instead of 300-350 MB, CPU load 35-50 % instead of 90-100%.

The only small problem is the flickering of the screen but it's nothing compared...

I hope this helps

Phileo

OldFrog

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2003, 10:56:25 PM »

I must say I compiled wxGTK-2.4.1 against GTk 1.2. I have actually an increase of memory . It loads about 100M in 48h. I need then to shutdown the GUI to have most part of this memory back. So, I guess there is something going wrong somewhere in the graphic part, most probably in wsGTK, more than the load from connections. Sorry for the bad symptoms, it's just a wondering anyway, my C++ is > 10 years old.

I just thought about giving a try to wxGTK-2.4.2 compiled against GTK-1.2, of course. I have seen too many posts about huge memory mashing with GTK 2.

Btw, I don't use wxGTK and *Mule RPMs from contribs or others as I found they were a bit greedy too. I compiled my stuff with athlon-xp optimizations. They seem to run better on my rig

About Mdk9.2, I gave it a try and found IMHO I could keep my good old 9.1, highly updated (with Texstar's and plf's RPMs and some other stuff) for some more time.

Thanks for the info anyway.

[edit] CVS for yesterday night is great !!! Averge is 30K/S for 12h aggainst Razorback (According to statistics folder) on a bad 512/128 ADSL line !!!

If anibody on Mdk9.1 interested, my RPMs are here
Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes (Edsger W. Dijkstra)

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2003, 09:57:13 PM »

At this time my "mule" is running since 48 hours. Memory use is up to 150 MB and CPU load stable at 35 to 50%.

So linking wxwindows to GTK1 is clearly the right solution.

I'm interested in the results of your test Wxwindows 2.4.2 versus 2.4.1

I tried 2.4.1 because RPM'S were available put if 2.4.2 is better I can search 2.4.2 sources and compile for myself.

And it's good to know that aMule is improving and the CVS version rocks.
Here i'm still using 1.1.2 and will probably wait for the next release.

OldFrog

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2003, 11:56:19 PM »

Actuually, get 2.4.2 from the link in the upper sticky post in this same forum. I didn't give a try to it. Latest CVS change shows aMule 1.2.0 is not far from the shell ;-)

And use the option provided in the post for both aMule and wxGTK.

I compile all my stuff with Athlon XP optimisations :

CFLAGS='-O2 -march=athlon-xp -mcpu=athlon-xp -mmmx -msse -mfpmath=sse'
CXXFLAGS='-O2 -march=athlon-xp -mcpu=athlon-xp -mmmx -msse -mfpmath=sse'

(Actually it's athlon-mp as I use a duallie, but it works very well on mono-procs too)

Not cutting edge, but some tweakings gave compil errors.