aMule Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We're back! (IN POG FORM)

Author Topic: aMule UDP port setting  (Read 7003 times)

Andys

aMule UDP port setting
« on: April 05, 2018, 10:46:10 AM »

Hello,
recently I installed amule-daemon on linux to download my files in background and stuck into small problem which affects also desktop aMule.
Why can't I change additional UDP port for server requests? It is stuck to +3 from TCP port, I'd like to set it manually myself.
The problem with auto setting is that it conflicts with how I usually open ports on my router:
- I select a port range (ex. 8000-8100) and dst-nat tcp and udp protocols to specific internal PC
- each program on PC gets it's own port number, both tcp and udp - torrents are 8005 tcp/udp, ed2k gets 8002 tcp/udp, etc. It's easy to remember and pretty static over all my home PCs.
Now, the problem with amule autoassigning UDP port is that 8002+3 = 8005 which udp port is already claimed by qbittorrent. So amule crashes, without any specific error about port binding. That assignment isn't what I want, I'd like to either disable this or be able to set it myself.
I think this port is specific to amule only, since I use eMule on windows PC and it has similar ports open - 7002 for eMule, 7005 for torrents, and eMule does not complain about it.

Vollstrecker

• Administrator
  • Unofficial Debian Packager
    • http://vollstreckernet.de
Re: aMule UDP port setting
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 02:17:55 PM »

Why don't you just go to 8003 or 8001?  Or maybe better: Lea war them on default.
Homefucking is killing prostitution

Andys

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 03:31:41 PM »

Why don't you just go to 8003 or 8001?  Or maybe better: Lea war them on default.
Well, I used my port scheme for 10+ years and am very addicted to it. I know which ports are redirected to which computer and adding them on router is a breeze. I can name the services they connect to without looking up configs or my port table. So yes, setting ed2k port to xxx2 and torrent port to xxx5 for me is like breathing - it is just natural and works without a hitch. Until I installed amule.
Furthermore, my main problem with it is that as I said earlier, I installed headless amule-daemon first, this setting is not in amule.conf and I wasted ~4 hours trying to comprehend why headless amule was crashing down after changing TCP port. No specific error, just unhanded crash.
Honestly, I can live without ed2k, right now I am more interested in general question: "why do we need this port at all and why is it hardcoded, specifically in amule, since it isn't required for ed2k protocol?"

Vollstrecker

• Administrator
  • Unofficial Debian Packager
    • http://vollstreckernet.de
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 10:32:47 PM »

There's a "What does each port do" on http://wiki.amule.org/wiki/FAQ_eD2k-Kademlia

For the crashing, this shouldn't happen. Could we get more info on this?
Homefucking is killing prostitution

Andys

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 10:22:36 AM »

There's a "What does each port do" on http://wiki.amule.org/wiki/FAQ_eD2k-Kademlia

For the crashing, this shouldn't happen. Could we get more info on this?
Yes, I'll do a bug report when I'll be near that PC. Or, I'll do it on a clean VM to prevent other software messing something up.
As for FAQ, yes, I read this. I just wonder, why this connection is mandatory in aMule, I never noticed any problems or slowdowns while I was using eMule on windows (which doesn't make use of the port since I ran qbittorrent on tcp/udp 4665 and emule on 4662 without conflicts)