aMule Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We're back! (IN POG FORM)

Author Topic: tcp kick?  (Read 4378 times)

Fester Bestertester

• Approved Newbie
tcp kick?
« on: April 22, 2018, 11:46:32 PM »

Before the Internet was common and cheap enough here in NZ, I was doing TCP/IP (very slow but still effective, 1200b/s half-duplex) by Ham Radio. On 386 and 486 machines (even 286's?) running DOS 5-ish, JNOS gave a semblance of linux's functionality and language (Slackware Linux could be up to 30x 1.4MB floppy-disks!, and required 386 or better processor), and with radio's fragile connections an occasional 'tcp kick' could refresh a connection. I'd venture a similar command could still be useful: 0.1 kB/s connections timing-out...
... or is this OS-level stuff? The internet's data transport is pretty much all Linux ...
Failing that, could there be a 'refresh' of search per file? a re-search without disconnecting existing connections? I've found some sources with long queues will allow me to re-join closer to the 'head' if I 'Stop' the file and 'Resume' - others re-join (if at all)  at the tail :( If a parallel search turns up shorter queues one could re-join there.
What think y'all?
F Bt

GonoszTopi

• The current man in charge of most things.
  • Administrator
Re: tcp kick?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 10:05:27 PM »

In some clients there was a bug, when reasking too often for a file, it would occasionally make the asker jump ahead in the queue. Newer clients punish this behaviour by banning those who ask too often.
concordia cum veritate

Fester Bestertester

• Approved Newbie
Re: tcp kick?
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 01:35:07 AM »

Thanks. I get it (I think). In the words of a (local?) Cheezels ad: "worth a crack, Nigel .... Nigel?" : :)