aMule Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We're back! (IN POG FORM)

Author Topic: Can't find libgd2  (Read 6440 times)

Capacitor

Can't find libgd2
« on: May 05, 2020, 11:54:38 PM »

Hi, I'm a long-time user of aMule. Today I freshly installed a new version of Ubuntu MATE 20.04 (focal) and I was surprised that aMule wasn't in the repository anymore. In the last couple of years I've had frequent crashes, I think after the latest version was released (2.3.2), and my searches always ended up with the same answer: compile aMule instead of using the repository version. Long story short, I've always been too lazy to do the whole process (I hate compiling, installing from a repository is much cleaner and easier to update and uninstall, imo), and the crashes happened almost always when I interacted with the program, so I just learnt to leave it alone as much as possible.
Today however I've finally been forced to compile aMule and, as I feared, problems arose. I'm following this guide.
The main problem right now, that I didn't manage to solve, revolves around the libgd2-xpm-dev package, that isn't available anymore. I tried to run the ./configure command anyway
Code: [Select]
./configure --prefix=/home/XXX/.aMule/bin --enable-debug --enable-optimize --with-denoise-level=3 --enable-upnp --enable-geoip --enable-nls --enable-amule-gui --enable-amule-daemon --enable-amulecmd --enable-webserver --enable-alcc --enable-alc --enable-cas --enable-wxcas --enable-mmapbut I get this message: https://pastebin.com/taBvxLqu

I tried to install the missing package from here, but I get the same message.

I saw that the message is only a warning, so maybe it won't interfere with compilation, but as I said I'm not particularly familiar with the whole process of compiling and I'd really like to have everything in order before I proceed, I'm not really in the mood for cleaning everything up at the moment if I end messing something up.

Btw, wouldn't it be better to have a .deb installer, or even better a .appImage executable?

Thanks in advance for your interest and your help!

Edit: it's probably not necessary, but here is the output of the two commands to see if I have only one installation of wx:
XXX@XXX:~$ ls -l /usr/bin/wx*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     27 mag  5 22:51 /usr/bin/wx-config -> /etc/alternatives/wx-config
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 125328 ott 29  2019 /usr/bin/wxrc
XXX@XXX:~$ ls -l /usr/local/bin/wx*
ls: cannot access '/usr/local/bin/wx*': No such file or directory
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 12:22:06 AM by Capacitor »

Vollstrecker

• Administrator
  • Unofficial Debian Packager
    • http://vollstreckernet.de
Re: Can't find libgd2
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2020, 08:45:53 AM »

Yep, this guide is a bit outdated, but you managed to find a current source.

First, the commandline in wiki is for building everything, if you use the source it's a good idea to compile just what you want.

Second it's a bad idea to install additional packages from old version. You got the hint to give a path to a programm, you should know your system good enough to be able to find a package that contains this executable.

Third, providing packages for every distro or system (plus containers) would be a bit too much.

Fourth, there is a README.Debian-Packages in the sourcetree that enables you to get packages.
Homefucking is killing prostitution

Capacitor

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 10:03:23 AM »

First, the commandline in wiki is for building everything, if you use the source it's a good idea to compile just what you want.
I see. Well, I'd like to have a fairly complete version, similar to the one that was distributed in the repository, but I can't find a detailed description of the various parameters.

Second it's a bad idea to install additional packages from old version. You got the hint to give a path to a programm, you should know your system good enough to be able to find a package that contains this executable.
I know, but I had to try. As for the path, I don't really know my system that intimately, and I'm not even sure what kind of file I have to search.

Third, providing packages for every distro or system (plus containers) would be a bit too much.
That's absolutely true, sadly, although at least the appImage format should work on every distribution, but I have no clue what are the requirements for the developer.

Fourth, there is a README.Debian-Packages in the sourcetree that enables you to get packages.
Ok, thanks. Though I think it still requires compilation.

GonoszTopi

• The current man in charge of most things.
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 11:14:06 AM »

The main problem right now, that I didn't manage to solve, revolves around the libgd2-xpm-dev package, that isn't available anymore. I tried to run the ./configure command anyway
./configure --prefix=/home/XXX/.aMule/bin --enable-debug --enable-optimize --with-denoise-level=3 --enable-upnp --enable-geoip --enable-nls --enable-amule-gui --enable-amule-daemon --enable-amulecmd --enable-webserver --enable-alcc --enable-alc --enable-cas --enable-wxcas --enable-mmapbut I get this message: https://pastebin.com/taBvxLqu

The gd graphics library is only needed by the cas tool to generate statistics images. Unless you use it you should simply omit the --enable-cas option from the configure command line, that will solve your problem.
concordia cum veritate

Capacitor

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2020, 02:25:18 PM »

The gd graphics library is only needed by the cas tool to generate statistics images. Unless you use it you should simply omit the --enable-cas option from the configure command line, that will solve your problem.
That's good news. With statistics images you mean the plots with the number of kad nodes connected and the up/download speed?

GonoszTopi

• The current man in charge of most things.
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2020, 01:08:06 AM »

Nope. I used the wrong wording, cas creates images for online signatures, see attached image.
concordia cum veritate