aMule Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We're back! (IN POG FORM)

Author Topic: Assumed GNU utilities  (Read 2284 times)

skolnick

• Global Moderator
  • CentOS 6 User
Assumed GNU utilities
« on: July 08, 2007, 08:11:22 PM »

Hi!

I just noticed something annoying in aMule CVS code: it assumes you use the GNU utilities (sed, test, grep, etc). There is nothing wrong with using them. If these are the utilities that work fine, let's use them. The problem is that it assumes the name of the util in most of the scripts. For example, the script autogen.sh assumes that /bin/sh is bash, but this is false in most commercial UNIXes (solaris, AIX, HP-UX and IRIX for sure). So the first line of this script should be changed to #!/bin/bash or something like #!'which bash' (no idea if that works, however). Same for the script that creates the flags from the XPM files (makeflags.sh), it assumes that sed is GNU sed, but most commercial UNIXes bring their own sed, and GNU sed is named gsed. I don't know if testing for gsed, before assuming sed, is easy to do, but I think it's the right thing. This is what configure does, for example: when I do configure it will happily find and use my ginstall instead of blindly trying to use install (which is not GNU, and would probably not work fine).

If I can help in any way (testing, or whatever) let me know.

Thanks!