aMule Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We're back! (IN POG FORM)

Author Topic: Thinking about a cocoa version of aMule  (Read 7715 times)

malcombsd

Thinking about a cocoa version of aMule
« on: June 26, 2008, 03:25:13 PM »

Hello guys,
I'm a indie mac programmer and a student of computer science. I've used aMule lots of times on my mac but the UI is terrible (that's a know issue ;-)
So I would to try make a cocoa version of aMule.
I don't know how the program was made but seems to have a guiless application called amuled. I could start from here and make a comunication layer between the gui and the code. Is it difficult?
What do you think?
Well it will be an opensource project and if others mac devs want to join it I'll be very happy.
Thank you so much and happy coding
malcom

wuischke

• Developer
Re: Thinking about a cocoa version of aMule
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 03:45:57 PM »

Hi,

there is already a communications layer you can use, called External connetions. There is no obj-c implementation yet, though.

As time permits it, I'll happily support your efforts, but I have no Mac and can't contribute code.

Kry

• Ex-developer
  • Retired admin
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 03:47:04 PM »

I would happily support you as well malcombsd and I actually have a leopard and a tiger I can use. However, it's probably better if you first contribute criticism to the current interface. Also, if you're a mac coder, do you have experience with Cocoa? Because if you do (and I don't mean interface builders, but actual classes and ObjC) you amy want to try and get wxWidget's cocoa port to work correctly with aMule (by most probably working on the wxWidgets source).

UPDATE: I made changes to the aMule svn to be able to compile with wxCocoa, so tomorrow's tarball will compile with it. Be aware I just mean "compile". It actually crashes on running it, and I haven't checked why yet.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 04:10:20 PM by Kry »

Kry

• Ex-developer
  • Retired admin
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 04:20:45 PM »

For reference, I got it to run up to the main gui (and crash inmediatly afterwards). This is how it looks like:

wuischke

• Developer
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 02:02:45 AM »

Please wait for tomorrow's (respectively today's in GMT+2) tarball which contains the changes Kry made. :)

wuischke

• Developer
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 02:27:09 PM »

Bandeira: I suggest starting a wiki page where you collect and organize all your ideas. It's a bit confusing as of now and I believe having a wiki page will increase productivity for everybody working on a Mac interface. Thank you for your contributions.