aMule Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We're back! (IN POG FORM)

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: Guybrush's struggle to get aMule running on a Mips router  (Read 58540 times)

Stu Redman

• Administrator
  • Engines screaming
Re: SVN 9834: WARNING! Client UDP-Socket discarded packet
« Reply #105 on: November 01, 2010, 12:04:09 AM »

Now we have to understand what are the changes made between 10190 and 10210 that could cause my problems...
See here.
The image of mother goddess, lying dormant in the eyes of the dead, the sheaf of the corn is broken, end the harvest, throw the dead on the pyre -- Iron Maiden, Isle of Avalon

Stu Redman

• Administrator
  • Engines screaming
« Reply #106 on: November 01, 2010, 09:09:59 PM »

The image of mother goddess, lying dormant in the eyes of the dead, the sheaf of the corn is broken, end the harvest, throw the dead on the pyre -- Iron Maiden, Isle of Avalon

GuybrushThreepwood

« Reply #107 on: November 02, 2010, 09:38:12 AM »

Hi and thanks for your reply. I knew that but 'patching' ExternalConn.cpp didn't help with 10312 as already said so the problem might be elsewhere... If you think that it could be useful, I can rebuild 10210 modifying ExternalConn.cpp but I'm not sure that this would help. I've read that you've fixed the GUI stats in 10354, thank you! It's a pity but I fear that by now I can't use it (though I'm really tempted to build and test it ;) )... By the way, thank you very much for your great effort to make aMule better and better and for your help to me too. :)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 09:46:48 AM by GuybrushThreepwood »

Stu Redman

• Administrator
  • Engines screaming
« Reply #108 on: November 02, 2010, 09:08:28 PM »

The only performance impact in 10190 - 10210 is the transmission of clients, which is negated by the ExternalConn patch.
Then again, this is only of relevance when amulegui is connected.
What did you say happens if you use amulecmd to control your demon?

GuybrushThreepwood

« Reply #109 on: November 03, 2010, 05:26:20 PM »

I've always used aMuleGUI to control the daemon running on my router, amulecmd only to automatically handle ed2k links. I will try to build the latest SVN patching ExternalConn.cpp and I will post here the results. Thank you! :)

GuybrushThreepwood

« Reply #110 on: November 05, 2010, 07:49:23 PM »

Hello again! I've been using 10360 (built with the usual modifications plus the one to ExternalConn.cpp) for two days now and it seems to work very well (with the GUI stats now working again too thanks to Stu  ;D ).
I can't imagine what could have changed from 10312 (maybe some optimizations, I don't know) that has made 10360 stable on my router but I will continue to test it and I will keep you updated. If everything would be fine as I expect, I would summarize here all the modifications needed to get the latest SVN work on my router. Thanks for everything! :)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 07:51:20 PM by GuybrushThreepwood »

GuybrushThreepwood

« Reply #111 on: March 06, 2011, 12:02:03 PM »

Hello to everyone! :) First of all excuse me for my long long absence but I couldn't test the 'newly' built SVN 10360 like I wanted to because of some issues that hadn't anything to do with aMule or computing in general.
By the way, though late for sure, I've finally managed to test the 'patched' 10360 as thoroughly as I wanted to. I can confirm that it's as stable as the much older 9548 and this is a GREAT improvement considering all the improvements included in the time between 9548 and 10360!  ;D
As promised, I'm going to summarize all the changes that I've made to aMule sources to make newer versions work in a satisfying way on my mips router so on a low resources system. Before starting, I'd like to point out some general but quite imporant advices:

• The "WARNING! Client UDP-Socket discarded packet..." consecutive warnings being the subject of this thread are due to a drop with the ADSL connection
  • It's necessary to add the --enable-mmap configure switch to deal with low memory availability

That said, I can start summarizing all the modifications done on the aMule SVN 10360 sources:

• As already discussed here:

http://forum.amule.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=7263b2379436f7b195c7f3f79e4a3161&topic=16721.msg88778#msg88778

I've patched amule.cpp commenting these two lines

//      rl.rlim_cur = rl.rlim_max;
    //      setrlimit(resType, &rl);

Without this modification I couldn't handle downloads which size was over 1Gb but please bear in mind that this could be necessary only for my particular situation because of the uclibc version built into my toolchain.

• In MuleUDPSocket.cpp I've commented this portion of code:

/* AddLogLineNS((wxT("WARNING! ") + m_name + wxT(": Packet to "))
                                    << Uint32_16toStringIP_Port(ip, port)
                                    << wxT(" discarded due to error (") << error << wxT(") while sending."));
    */ sent = true;

ONLY to disable the logging of the discarded packets because of dropped connection.

• In FileArea.cpp I've done this modification to disable the signal handler:

//#if !defined(HAVE_SIGACTION) || !defined(SA_SIGINFO) || !defined(HAVE_MMAP)
    #if 1

class CFileAreaSigHandler
    {

• In ExternalConn.cpp I've commented this portion of code to disable the clients transportation through EC:

// Add clients
            /* CECEmptyTag clients(EC_TAG_CLIENT);
            const CClientList::IDMap& clientList = theApp->clientlist->GetClientList();
            for (CClientList::IDMap::const_iterator it = clientList.begin(); it != clientList.end(); it++) {
                    const CUpDownClient* cur_client = it->second;
                    CValueMap &valuemap = tagmap.GetValueMap(cur_client->ECID());
                    clients.AddTag(CEC_UpDownClient_Tag(cur_client, EC_DETAIL_INC_UPDATE, &valuemap));
            }
            response->AddTag(clients);

*/ return response;
    }

That's all! It's more or less the summary of the thread along with some other issues discussed on another. First of all I'd like to say a GREAT "Thank you!" to StuRedman and all the others that have tried (and ofter succeeded) to help me. I've seen that in the meantime SVN 10360 has become quite outdated but I don't plan to build newer versions soon (I'd like to but I haven't the time). I ask you this anyway: do you believe that newer versions are still usable for me? I'm just curious because SVN 10360 completely satisfies me. Thanks again, really! :)

Stu Redman

• Administrator
  • Engines screaming
« Reply #112 on: March 06, 2011, 01:03:08 PM »

Hello Guybrush,

thank you for summing this all up! Let's take a look at the issues:
Without this modification I couldn't handle downloads which size was over 1Gb but please bear in mind that this could be necessary only for my particular situation because of the uclibc version built into my toolchain.
Hm, since 9539 UnlimitResource(RLIMIT_FSIZE) is not called anymore if __UCLIBC__ is defined. Please try if it works without this too. (Mind - your patch cuts ALL Unlimits, not just the broken one with the file size.

/* AddLogLineNS((wxT("WARNING! ") + m_name + wxT(": Packet to "))
                                << Uint32_16toStringIP_Port(ip, port)
                                << wxT(" discarded due to error (") << error << wxT(") while sending."));
I'd just change this to an AddLogLineN and so log it only to the log file and not to the console.

In FileArea.cpp I've done this modification to disable the signal handler:
I think I will just disable the signal handler for __UCLIBC__ .

In ExternalConn.cpp I've commented this portion of code to disable the clients transportation through EC:
This severely cuts into the client visualization of course. Please try:
Code: [Select]
// Add clients
CECEmptyTag clients(EC_TAG_CLIENT);
const CClientList::IDMap& clientList = theApp->clientlist->GetClientList();
for (CClientList::IDMap::const_iterator it = clientList.begin(); it != clientList.end(); it++) {
const CUpDownClient* cur_client = it->second.GetClient();
if (!cur_client->IsDownloading()) {
continue;
}
CValueMap &valuemap = tagmap.GetValueMap(cur_client->ECID());
clients.AddTag(CEC_UpDownClient_Tag(cur_client, EC_DETAIL_INC_UPDATE, &valuemap));
}
response->AddTag(clients);
This will show the active uploads again at minimum extra CPU load. I could make a preference setting for this.

The idea is that in the future an unpatched amuled should work on your machine.
I don't expect any new problems with current SVN instead of 10360.

GuybrushThreepwood

« Reply #113 on: March 06, 2011, 02:44:27 PM »

Thanks for your advices as always. I will try to build a newer SVN following your advices ASAP. Have a good day! :)

Stu Redman

• Administrator
  • Engines screaming
Re: Guybrush's struggle to get aMule running on a Mips router
« Reply #114 on: March 08, 2011, 01:59:05 PM »

SVN 10479 should now work out-of-the-box for you, Guybrush. Please verify.
To disable clients set in amule.conf
Code: [Select]
[ExternalConnect]
TransmitOnlyUploadingClients=1
This will still show the active uploads.

GonoszTopi

• The current man in charge of most things.
  • Administrator
« Reply #115 on: March 09, 2011, 10:06:32 PM »

Should be fixed by rev. 10489.
concordia cum veritate

GuybrushThreepwood

« Reply #116 on: August 30, 2011, 04:08:37 PM »

Hello and excuse me for my long absence. I have built SVN 10494 (forcing mmap to 1 as always, just to reconnect to what's debated of in the previous posts) and everything works very well out of the box as suggested by Stu.
I've thoroughly tested it over the last months (though not continuatively) and it has proven to be very stable. I'm now back to the good old days of the 'ancient' ;) SVN 9548 but with a lot of new improvements. I'd like to thank you all (especially Stu) for your help. :) Don't hesitate to tell me if you want me to test newer versions on my router should something that could cause troubles on low resources systems have been changed in the meantime. Thanks again!

Stu Redman

• Administrator
  • Engines screaming
« Reply #117 on: August 30, 2011, 09:11:49 PM »

Hi Guybrush,

good to hear it works at last for you!

We have a release candidate for 2.3.1 out now (based on SVN 10600). If you want you can check it out, though I don't expect any problems compared to what you have now. But you never know.

GuybrushThreepwood

« Reply #118 on: May 16, 2012, 07:41:08 PM »

Hello again to everyone! :) After a long absence, I've decided to build a newer SVN (I've used the aforementioned SVN 10494 in the last months and it has always worked like a charm) and I've downloaded 10786. I was forced to refresh my toolchain because the required version of wxWidgets now is 2.8.12 instead of the older 2.8.10 but everything has gone smoothly on this side. The issues have begun a little later though...
The new SVN isn't reliable on my router and after a while it starts to misbehave and the swap crashes (exactly like all the other tested versions before the 10494 and after the 9548, cannot allocate memory when trying to call the swapoff command etc.).
What's even worse (but here we're going slightly off topic) is that, in spite of the fact that I've built the same version aMuleGUI, I can't NEVER (neither at the beginning) connect with the daemon running on the router: it always complains about a wrong password while the password is completely fine, still the same I always use and simply generated with the md5sum, cut etc. 'trick'.
You all surely have much more urgent and important issues to attend to so I'm not starting another struggle like the one that has seen its end a little less than a year ago. I'd only like to see if I can find a solution without too much harm! ;)

Stu Redman

• Administrator
  • Engines screaming
« Reply #119 on: May 16, 2012, 10:04:06 PM »

Hi Guybrush, long time no see!
You caught a broken version. Try 10788 (or maybe 10781, because there were some changes in between I'm unsure of).
Are you sure you have built and run a matching version of amulegui? Any amulegui version since 2.3.1 should work with any amuled version since 2.3.1 by the way, there have been no breaking changes since (yet).
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9