aMule Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We're back! (IN POG FORM)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Guybrush's struggle to get aMule running on a Mips router  (Read 58563 times)

GuybrushThreepwood

Re: SVN 9834: WARNING! Client UDP-Socket discarded packet
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2009, 10:53:24 PM »

@Stu redman

I've just built the lastest SVN 9847 following your guidelines (using the --enable-mmap switch and after patching PartFile.cpp to disable the Corruption Blackbox) and I've started its testing. By now, it has been up for five hours and everything is still fine.

GuybrushThreepwood

« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2009, 04:42:52 PM »

Nothing. :( I still get a lot of warnings:

WARNING! Client UDP-Socket: Packet to ... discarded due to error (2) while sending.

After a while it stops downloading and uploading and it freezes the router. The only change is that now I'm able to succesfully execute the swapoff command, nothing relevant though.

freddy77

• Developer
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2009, 07:07:19 PM »

This happen after disconnection of router or ip change ?? Perhaps router loose default router and many socket functions (like bind or send) fails...
An strace would be helpful but is hard to launch it when you have such problems :(
I would emulate this behavior using a normal pc and removing default router manually.

GuybrushThreepwood

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2009, 10:32:51 AM »

No, the router remains connected and it loses the connection only when it definitively crashes and the IP is static. I don't understand what could be the cause of this behaviour.
There are two amule.conf entries that I've successfully used for a long time with no issues at all but I'm reviewing everything so let's talk about them too:

QueueSizePref=5 (I think that the default value 50 is too high for a router with limited resorces)
FileBufferSizePref=70 (that's almost 1Mb, I've used this value instead of the too low according to me 16 to reduce the accesses to the disk)

For what concerns the rest, everything else is almost at default values. I don't think that those values could cause my problems (maybe the FileBufferSizePref only as it gets more memory but I don't think that less than a Megabyte more than the default value could be so relevant), especially considering that everything was fine with those settings and the older versions.
Just a question: what's the part of the code that triggers those warnings? I was just wondering: is  it possible that the older SVNs (like the 9548) didn't include this check and this is the only reason why the warning doesn't appear in the log file?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 03:16:16 PM by GuybrushThreepwood »

Stu Redman

• Administrator
  • Engines screaming
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2009, 04:08:16 PM »

Just a question: what's the part of the code that triggers those warnings?
See here.

I was just wondering: is  it possible that the older SVNs (like the 9548) didn't include this check and this is the only reason why the warning doesn't appear in the log file?
Now that you mention it - I replaced the former printf with a AddLogLineNS in 9573. So yeah, if you redirect the output of your working version (or just copy over the current MuleUDPSocket.cpp - there are no important changes) you will probably find the same messages. So they could be unrelated to your problem.
The image of mother goddess, lying dormant in the eyes of the dead, the sheaf of the corn is broken, end the harvest, throw the dead on the pyre -- Iron Maiden, Isle of Avalon

GuybrushThreepwood

« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2009, 10:11:45 PM »

I can confirm that the SVN 9548 didn't display those warnings only because it uses a printf instead of appending them to the logfile. Everything is EXACTLY as Stu Redman as said. I've replaced the printf in MuleUDPSocket.cpp and rebuilt the SVN 9548 and I've got the same behaviour with the only exception (quite a big one though) that the router and the swapfile remain stable. I've also understood what causes those warnings: as already guessed by freddy77, they arise when the connection drops.
After making these verifications, I've built the latest SVN 9852 as I've done before with the SVN 9847 (I've patched PartFile.cpp to disable the Corruption BlackBox) but this time I've also patched MuleUDPSocket.cpp to disable the visualization (not the handling) of those warnings.
The warnings aren't there anymore (obviously! ;) ) but, even with the Corruption Blackbox disabled, the router isn't stable and the swapfile crashes (unlike what happened with the previously built SVN 9847 that wasn't much stable too but at least didn't make the swap crash).
I've to add a slightly off topic issue: aMuleGUI isn't stable at all and has often crashed while all the previous versions that I've tested (even the SVN 9847) were very stable. Has something related to aMuleGUI changed in the meantime? If yes, maybe that checking those modifications could be necessary.
I would surely have to use a version much older than the latest ones: they definitively have something too hard to handle for a router with limited resources (unless you could give me some other advices like the one on the Corruption BlackBox). It's a pity cause the newer versions are much better than the SVN 9548...
I hope that my testing has been useful and thank you all (especially Stu Redman whose advices have been very useful) for your help. :)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 10:40:01 PM by GuybrushThreepwood »

Stu Redman

• Administrator
  • Engines screaming
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2009, 11:16:41 PM »

Just what I expected.  So we still have no clue what is causing your problem. :(
Only way I can think of to narrow it down is if we try more versions. One in between 9548 and now, if it fails one in the middle before that and so on, until we can locate the break. Sounds like a lot but really isn't, because many versions have no changes that could be related to this.
If you're willing to test more versions I'll provide them for you. Of course, when testing you have two keep in mind that two sessions are never the same. Your downloads change, the other clients change and so on. So "works" often is "not crashed yet".  :-\

A word about remote gui: you should always use the one that belongs to the same SVN version as the daemon, at least if there were EC changes in between. And there were a lot of them this year.  :)
If there are still crashes please post a backtrace (if it's from a fairly current version at least), but make a new thread for that.
The image of mother goddess, lying dormant in the eyes of the dead, the sheaf of the corn is broken, end the harvest, throw the dead on the pyre -- Iron Maiden, Isle of Avalon

GuybrushThreepwood

« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2009, 11:54:48 PM »

Only way I can think of to narrow it down is if we try more versions. One in between 9548 and now, if it fails one in the middle before that and so on, until we can locate the break. Sounds like a lot but really isn't, because many versions have no changes that could be related to this.
If you're willing to test more versions I'll provide them for you.

Hi and thanks for your reply. Yes, I'm ready to test more versions if you'd like to tell me where to find them. To begin, I could try to rebuild the SVN 9834 disabling the Corruption BlackBox and that warning notification but I don't know if it would be enough. Tell me what do you think. I guess that, apart from the Corruption BlackBox, there isn't anything else to disable to free some memory...

Of course, when testing you have to keep in mind that two sessions are never the same. Your downloads change, the other clients change and so on. So "works" often is "not crashed yet".  :-\

I completely understand this but the SVN 9548 was very stable and I've used it for a while though on the other hand I know that it's outdated now and it suffers of a severe bug.

A word about remote gui: you should always use the one that belongs to the same SVN version as the daemon, at least if there were EC changes in between. And there were a lot of them this year.  :)

I know that and that's why every time that I build a new daemon version I rebuild a new aMuleGUI version too. Both amuled and aMuleGUI are the same version (SVN 9852). The problem isn't surely that.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 12:09:37 AM by GuybrushThreepwood »

Stu Redman

• Administrator
  • Engines screaming
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2009, 09:54:37 PM »

Let's start right in the middle with revision 9700: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WBQG5E7J
(you can also pm me your mail address if it can handle 4.5 MB files).

Unpack with tar xjf 9700.tbz
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 09:58:35 PM by Stu Redman »

GonoszTopi

• The current man in charge of most things.
  • Administrator
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2009, 10:14:55 PM »

Let's start right in the middle with revision 9700: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WBQG5E7J
Or you can get it also as a tar.gz or a zip archive ;)
concordia cum veritate

Stu Redman

• Administrator
  • Engines screaming
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2009, 11:23:01 PM »

Forgot all about that one...  :-[
You can get most of the tarballs from there,  Guybrush.

GonoszTopi

• The current man in charge of most things.
  • Administrator
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2009, 05:45:28 AM »

I believe you have better things to do than generating tarballs when they're readily available 8)
concordia cum veritate

GuybrushThreepwood

« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2009, 10:57:47 AM »

Thank you both! :) I would be away in the next days but I've already downloaded the archive and I would keep you updated.

GuybrushThreepwood

« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2009, 03:39:04 PM »

I've built the SVN 9700 (both the daemon and aMuleGUI) and it's less stable than the SVN 9852: it crashes even sooner. :( Do you have an explanation for this? I would test it more thoroughly but I'm not very confident that it would solve my problems... Maybe it misses some kind of optimization that's crucial, I don't know.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 03:49:13 PM by GuybrushThreepwood »

Stu Redman

• Administrator
  • Engines screaming
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2009, 07:53:48 PM »

If I had an explanation I would fix that bug and move on.  ;)
Some wild guesses: improvements since 9700 dampen the bad effect, general "weather" (you know, two sessions are never the same).
Now try (9700 + 9548)/2 . (And always build with mmap.)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9