aMule Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We're back! (IN POG FORM)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Starting Japanese translation  (Read 49512 times)

aikishugyo

• Approved Newbie
  • Long-term interests: martial arts, open source software. Challenge: finding financial and/or information security work in Tokyo and helping run a computer security import/export business.
    • http://www.aikishugyo.dnsdojo.org
Re: Starting Japanese translation
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2007, 05:17:27 AM »

Done bug report! I found several grammar and spelling mistakes also. It is really trivial to repair this in the amule.pot file. Hope I can simply upload a corrected version...

Here is a new Japanese translation. over 460 strings done now.  Now that you've added Japanese preferences, I'll be able to compile it myself and check how it turns out (I was wondering before why my compilation wasn't producing Japanese options even though I had modified the pot directory Makefile and so on.)

BTW, is it okay to delete attachments to previous mails? The old ja.po files are not necessary anymore right?

Cheers,
   G.
Find out how something works, then its limits and functionality

wuischke

• Developer
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2007, 10:48:42 AM »

Hi aikishugyo,

amule.pot will be generated of the source code, so any changes will be lost once something changed in the source. But if you give me this file, I might change all the stuff in the source and the GUI. Thanks a lot for your effort!

I don't think it is necessary to delete the old attachments, but feel free to do so, if you want to. It's all in version control anyway.

Thanks for the update, you forgot a "\ņ" in your translated text, but I've fixed this.

P.S. You can see one screenshot of aMule in Japanese here.

aikishugyo

• Approved Newbie
  • Long-term interests: martial arts, open source software. Challenge: finding financial and/or information security work in Tokyo and helping run a computer security import/export business.
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2007, 02:23:15 PM »

Hi again,

amule.pot will be generated of the source code, so any changes will be lost once something changed in the source.  But if you give me this file, I might change all the stuff in the source and the GUI. Thanks a lot for your effort!

No worries. I'll start a new thread on that once I've done, got a couple hundred more messages to look at though, one or two more evenings needed.

Thanks for the update, you forgot a "\n" in your translated text, but I've fixed this.

Oops, sorry about that.

P.S. You can see one screenshot of aMule in Japanese here.

Well, that looks very nice indeed, I am impressed! Nice skin too... I'll have to take a closer look at many of th translations, since it's not always clear how to translate for the final context from the original English in the .po file. Also, because of the Japanese use of the clumsy katakana syllabary (full-width, compared to the half-width ASCII and other Western characters) to transcribe Western words rather than using a few number of Kanji (pictographs), a lot of the messages can get unreasonably long for the given space provided. Frustrating!

Here the next batch, over 640 messages translated.

Cheers, Gernot
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 02:28:48 PM by aikishugyo »

wuischke

• Developer
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2007, 05:08:26 PM »

Hi Gernot,

does this still make sense?
msgid "Command `%s' with pid `%d' has finished with status code `%d'."
msgstr "`%s' がステータスコード PID `%d' のコマンド  `%d' で終了しました。"
Unfortunately the order of the arguments seems to be important here, so I changed the part with the %s with the term with the PID to preserve the order.

I've committed the update, if a change is needed for the above, I suggest fixing this with the next update on your side.

kind regards

aikishugyo

• Approved Newbie
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2007, 10:32:38 PM »

does this still make sense?
msgstr "`%s' がステータスコード PID `%d' のコマンド  `%d' で終了しました。"
Unfortunately the order of the arguments seems to be important here, so I changed the part with the %s with the term with the PID to preserve the order.

I've committed the update, if a change is needed for the above, I suggest fixing this with the next update on your side.
Oops, I'll make a note of that issue, thanks. Unfortunately, Korean and Japanese, which share a common grammar, are the reverse of English (and Chinese, whose grammar is similar to Western languages).

Here the next version, over 800 strings now translated, and a few spelling errors fixed in the English (I figured this would be good to do at short notice).

One thing about rates: in Japanese "N kB/s" becomes effectively "/s N kB". While it may not be critical to change the english everywhere, it should be noted that most Japanese are most certainly not fluent in reading English, especially technical English. Many of the messages that have an argument are separated from the message containing the unit and both will, if such translation is applied correctly, need to be modified. For the moment I've marked just the unit message in such cases.

Regards, Gernot
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 09:18:00 AM by aikishugyo »

aikishugyo

• Approved Newbie
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2007, 08:03:43 AM »

Adding a further update, over 900 messages translated now. I'll have to test extensively eventually, but I prefer to get as much out the door first.

wuischke

• Developer
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2007, 02:14:39 PM »

Hi Gernot,

First of all, I found the solution for the word order problem.
msgstr "PID `%2$d' のコマンド  `%1$s' がステータスコード  `%3$d' で終了しました。"
(Please review this particular string in the translation, I hope it is correct like this.)

I hope this helps you to improve the translation and make it more natural for Japanese.

Then I've committed the updated, thanks a lot for your work.

kind regards

aikishugyo

• Approved Newbie
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2007, 03:41:19 PM »

First of all, I found the solution for the word order problem.
msgstr "PID `%2$d' のコマンド  `%1$s' がステータスコード  `%3$d' で終了しました。"

Hello! Thanks, that does appear to be correct for Japanese usage. Before I continue, and change other strings, can I use this syntax in all cases now (even, if for example, there is only one variable)?

wuischke

• Developer
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2007, 03:55:04 PM »

You can, but in the case of only one variable it doesn't make much sense to change the order, does it? This only serves to change the order of arguments.

To clarify this:
Code: [Select]
printf("%s %s %s", "one", "two", "three"); -> Output "one two three" (original order)
printf("%3$s %1$s %2$s", "one", "two", "three"); -> Output "three one two" (changed order i.e. use the third argument at the first placeholder, the first at the second placeholder and the second argument at the third)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 09:11:03 AM by wuischke »

aikishugyo

• Approved Newbie
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2007, 03:42:11 AM »

To clarify this:
printf("%s %s %s", "one", "two", "three"); -> Output "one two three" (original order)
printf("%3$s %1$s %2$s", "one", "two", "three"); -> Output "three one two" (changed order i.e. use the third argument at the first placeholder, the first at the second placeholder and the second argument at the third)

Thanks, yes, got it (note: your post has an error: 3 2 1 -> 3 1 2). I'm attaching the next set, over 1000 translated strings. One question:

#: src/muuli_wdr.cpp:799
msgid "Packages saved by I.C.H. :"
msgstr "I.C.H.に助かったパケット:"

Is  that right, or should that be "Packets saved by I.C.H.:"?

Thanks, Gernot

wuischke

• Developer
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2007, 06:27:33 PM »

Thanks for the update, committed.

It should be packets saved by I.C.H., at least this is how the variable's called. Could you please add this to your list of corrections and language inconsistencies?

aikishugyo

• Approved Newbie
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2007, 03:18:34 AM »

OK, noted. Here is the next instalment of the Japanese translation, up to 1100+ strings. I see about 26 disappeared from the total. Good! :-)

Regards, Gernot

wuischke

• Developer
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2007, 10:41:23 AM »

We were probably talking too much...;) No, these were debug output strings which are only directed at us and shouldn't be translated at all, because we don't understand debug messages in Japanese or Mandarin. ;)

Thanks for the updated translation, I've committed it.

aikishugyo

• Approved Newbie
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2007, 06:04:48 AM »

Heh! Indeed.... heck, I don't understand them either  ;D

Here the next instalment, over 1270 strings done now.

Quick question: what's the best format for 'error' notes? An edited version of the main English .pot file, or it's diff file, or some other format easier to discuss on the forums? I don't see many people liking the idea of line numbers, or verbatim copies from the .po file. I don't think it's much fun either, way too easy to lose track of things  :P My notes are on paper at the moment... questions too, mind you, since I can't always tell from the English what the precise meaning should be.

Regards, Gernot

wuischke

• Developer
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2007, 06:15:54 PM »

Sorry for the delay in committing the update and thanks.

Well, I would like to know what's wrong and where it's wrong, i.e. file and line number. So I would suggest something like:
amule.cpp:123 "This stirng is wrong."
correction: "This string is correct."

I'll try to help you with any questions, provided I know what the English versions means...;)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4