aMule Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We're back! (IN POG FORM)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Greek translation  (Read 44471 times)

greek

Greek translation
« on: November 28, 2007, 11:48:03 AM »

I have completed 22% of the greek translation. Still a long way to go. Any help is wellcome.

wuischke

• Developer
Re: Greek translation
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 05:21:41 PM »

Thanks a lot for your effort!

I've put everything together, please download the el.po file from http://www.amule.org/translations (to appear there in about an hour) to continue with the translation. I've tested it and it works fine with the already translated strings.

greek

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 11:22:18 AM »

It seems that noone has touched the translation so far, so I am submitting my latest update. 31% Now Greek should be 4th from the end!  :) Also while doing this I realize that there is tremendous string repetition. That makes me kind of curious about the code. Something must be very messy ...

wuischke

• Developer
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 06:22:30 PM »

Hi greek,

Thanks a lot for your work on the Greek translation!

please use the el.po (el is for some reason the language code for greek - don't ask me why) found at the translation page as the base for further translations. We are doing frequent changes to the strings to translate and by using the el.po from there you'll always have the most recent version. It would be a pity if you translated 100 strings we've removed from the list of strings to translate.

About the string repetition: I'm afraid you are right. The Japanese translator, aikishugyo is working on a list of inconsistencies and errors in the source strings, I would appreciate it a lot if you could help us improving the language used by aMule as well. Just write down what you think should be improved (please include file name and line number) and I'll try to revise all these strings and see what we can make better.

Thanks again.

greek

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 08:52:23 PM »

First of all it is called el because the Word for Greece in Greek is actually Hellas or Ellas and the language for Greek in Greek is Ellinika. The word "Greek" is completely inappropriate if you ask me but it exists due to historical reasons...
Yes I would like to help with the code cleaning. In fact I was trying to traslate aMule on the Leopard, predominantly to check both my translation and the source strings. The compile instructions in the wiki don't work (at least) on the leopard soI am wondering how I can find some help with that. Otherwise, I have to check every string individually inside the code instead of viewing them in the running application ...
Seems that there is a lot of work for 2.2.0.

wuischke

• Developer
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 09:24:59 PM »

Ah, I didn't know this. But I remember that people were referring to "Hellas" during the olympic games in Athens...

About aMule on Leopard: I can try to help you, although I don't own a Mac. (I used to cross-compile from Linux, though.)
My first try would be to use amulecc a shell script to compile aMule on Leopard.
If this doesn't work, please tell me what you tried and how it failed. But it would be better if you open a new thread for this issue, so we don't mix the Greek/Ellinika translation with the compilation on Mac OS X.

greek

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2007, 11:38:00 PM »

Well, the script crashes in the same way as when I tried.

greek

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 04:08:59 AM »

I am contributing more greek translations. Now it is at >50%. This puts the greek translation far from the bottom of the barrel and right after the japanese (yeahhhhh!) :).
However I have converns if it is worth the effort doing it now. It seems that there are many duplicate strings and its shouldn't be so difficult to write a little script that removes redundancies. I think I will do it at some point before I continue. Also there are many inconsistencies in the terminology even in english. So I hope I will manage to compile for leopard sometime soon...

wuischke

• Developer
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 11:53:25 PM »

Well, looks like I have to search myself a cave where I have to stay until I'm done being ashamed. :(

Another translation I forgot to commit, I'm sorry. It's comitted now, please accept my excuse for this shortfall.  :-[

P.S. I know that people compiled aMule successfully on Leopard in the meantime, I think there are even some binaries in the Mac section. :)

phoenix

• Evil respawning bird from aMule Dev Team
  • Developer
  • The last shadow you'll ever see
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 02:00:10 PM »

wuischke,

I am having problems with the greek translation:

Generating translations for el
el.po:2764: number of format specifications in 'msgid' and 'msgstr' does not match
el.po:2771: number of format specifications in 'msgid' and 'msgstr' does not match
/usr/bin/msgfmt: found 2 fatal errors

wuischke

• Developer
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 02:44:50 PM »

Thanks for the report, I guess I got really sloppy yesterday and forgot to test the translation. :(

Anyway, it should be fixed now.

phoenix

• Evil respawning bird from aMule Dev Team
  • Developer
  • The last shadow you'll ever see
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 02:57:52 PM »

It is fixed indeed! Thanks!

greek

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2008, 04:11:49 PM »

Greek translation should be in 66% or so.

wuischke

• Developer
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2008, 04:38:58 PM »

Thanks a lot, committed. :) We're even at 67.23%.

greek

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2008, 04:45:07 PM »

Hmm, I don't see it in the current status yet. Anyway, after this is fully committed, the next target is 80%. What is the deadline (ie when is 2.2.0 released?  :))
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5